Spectra: line mixing explanation?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a clear explanation for line mixing or cross-relaxation in atomic and molecular spectra. The person is looking for an online resource that can provide a conceptual explanation and the conditions for this phenomenon to occur. Another person suggests looking into Fermi resonances as an example of this phenomenon. The original person is interested in understanding how this can affect their model of individual transition shapes in a spectrum.
mikeph
Hi

Can anyone point me to a clear description of line mixing/"cross-relaxation" in atomic/molecular spectra?

Every paper I read assumes some previous knowledge, is there an online resource that will explain why two transition would mix? I'm specifically looking for conceptual explanation and conditions for this phenomenon to occur.

Thanks
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
can I bump this?

That looks similar to what I'm thinking of. In general I want to model a spectrum as the addition of individual transition shapes, i.e. I'm treating each line as an independent contributor to the overall spectrum. I'm looking for any phenomenon which will make this model inaccurate, like any type of interference between lines.

I'll have a read around Fermi resonances because the CO2 example seems quite relevant. Thanks!

1. What is line mixing in spectra?

Line mixing in spectra refers to the phenomenon where the spectral lines of two or more atoms or molecules overlap and interact with each other, causing changes in the shape and intensity of the lines.

2. Why is line mixing important in spectroscopy?

Line mixing is important in spectroscopy because it can provide information about the interactions between molecules in a gas or plasma. It also affects the accuracy of spectral measurements and can impact the interpretation of spectral data.

3. How does line mixing occur?

Line mixing occurs due to the collisions between molecules in a gas or plasma. These collisions cause the energy levels of the molecules to shift, resulting in the overlapping and interaction of spectral lines.

4. What factors influence line mixing in spectra?

The factors that influence line mixing in spectra include temperature, pressure, molecular concentration, and the strength of the interactions between molecules.

5. How is line mixing quantified and analyzed?

Line mixing is quantified and analyzed using various theoretical models and experimental techniques, such as the Voigt and Rautian profiles and spectroscopic measurements. These methods allow for the determination of line shape and the extraction of important physical parameters, such as collisional broadening and shift coefficients.