Need help in understanding input offset curent of Op-Amp

In summary, the IB+ is the positive input bias current and the IB- is the negative input bias current. The Iinput offset is the difference of IB- and IB+.
null void
image002.gif

This picture is from http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/op_ibias/op_ibias.htm

I am not very sure if I am getting the right idea of how the IB+ and IB- works, but when i solve it open up one of the IB to solve the problem.

for IB+, (IB- is opened)
Vout = V-( 1 + R2/R1), ... V- = IB+R3
Vout = IB+R3( 1 + R2/R1)

for IB- (IB+ is opened)
IB- = (V- - 0) / R1 + (V- - Vout) / R2
Vout = V-(1+ R2/R1) + IB-...can i consider that when IB+ is opened, V+ = 0 = V- ?
if I assume that I am right, i get what the page gives:

Vout = -R2(IB-)

one more thing, the IB+ is positive input biase current while the IB- is the negative input bias current? And the Iinput offset = difference of IB- and IB+ ->|IB+ - IB-| ?

These two input bias current and input offset current are the parameters that always appear in the datasheet right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try watch this video

Also how can you add current into resistor ?
Vout = IB+R3( 1 + R2/R1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jony130 said:
Try watch this video
Also how can you add current into resistor ?
Vout = IB+R3( 1 + R2/R1)

it is (IB+)R3(1 + R2/R1), sorry for the confusing writing.

I consider that the IB+ current will pass throught the R3 and therefore the V+ is equivalent to (IB+)R3 . And i just apply the normal concept for finding the voltage amplification of operational amplifier circuit.

For sure we can use a superposition to find Vout.

First we assume IB+ > 0A and IB- = 0A
So have

Vout'1 = IB+*R3 * (1 + R2/R1) and this voltage is positive

Next we open IB+ = 0A and we left with IB-.

Vout'2 = - R2*IB- and for this IB current direction the output voltage is negative.

And finally

Vout = Vout'1 + Vout'2 = IB+•R3•(R2/R1 + 1) - IB-•R2

Last edited:
null void said:
These two input bias current and input offset current are the parameters that always appear in the datasheet right?

No, in datasheet you will find the value for the average input bias current.
IB = (IB+ + IB-)/2
and offset current
Ios = IB+ - IB-

so

IB+ = IB + Ios/2

IB- = IB - Ios/2

Likes 1 person
get it, thanks you very much !

1. What is input offset current in an Op-Amp?

Input offset current refers to the small amount of current that flows into the input terminals of an operational amplifier (Op-Amp) even when there is no input signal present. It is caused by mismatched transistors in the input stage of the Op-Amp and can affect the accuracy and stability of the amplifier's output.

2. How does input offset current affect Op-Amp performance?

Input offset current can cause the output voltage of an Op-Amp to deviate from the ideal value. This can result in errors in measurement or signal processing applications. It can also affect the stability of the amplifier, causing it to oscillate or produce unexpected results.

3. How is input offset current specified in Op-Amps?

Input offset current is typically specified in units of nanoamps (nA) or picoamps (pA). It is usually presented as a maximum value, meaning that the actual value may be lower but should not exceed the specified amount. It can also vary with temperature and power supply voltage, so it is important to check the datasheet for specific conditions.

4. What causes input offset current to change with temperature?

Input offset current is affected by temperature because it is caused by mismatched transistors in the input stage of the Op-Amp. As temperature increases, the characteristics of these transistors can change, resulting in a change in input offset current. This can be minimized by using Op-Amps with low input offset current drift over temperature.

5. How can input offset current be minimized in Op-Amps?

Input offset current can be minimized by using Op-Amps with matched transistors in the input stage, as well as implementing techniques such as input offset voltage trimming or chopper stabilization. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate Op-Amp for the specific application to ensure that the input offset current will not significantly affect performance.