Gibbs free energy and enthelpy relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for enthalpy and Gibbs free energy, which both involve a constant pressure environment. However, the equations differ in that the enthalpy equation only includes PdV while the Gibbs free energy equation includes both PdV and VdP terms. The discussion also considers the relationship between VdP and μdN, with the conclusion that they are not equivalent expressions.
iScience
***i just realized that i posted this in the wrong section; could a moderator perhaps move this thread to the classical physics section please? Sorry for the trouble***

enthalpy is the energy available if a system with some defined volume were to be annihilated and have the atmosphere collapse inward where the atmospheric pressure remains constant. hence..

dH= dU + PdV (i like sticking to differentials)

Gibbs: this one takes place at constant temperature and pressure. I don't understand why we do the following for the gibbs:

G=U+PV-TS ----> dG=dU+d(PV)-d(TS) ----> dG=dU+PdV+VdP-TdS-SdT

Question 1: the cases for both the enthalpy and gibbs free energy involve the environment being at constant pressure hence the PV term right? (if I'm wrong please correct me) so why do i use PdV for one of them (enthalpy case) and PdV+VdP for the other (the gibbs case)?

Question 2: VdP looks like the case where we are shoving/compressing air into a fixed volume (perhaps a container or something...), so i was wondering, could this term could be somehow combined with the μdN term? it doesn't seem necessary to keep both terms around since they seem like different expressions for the same thing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.) Technically, you use
[itex]P dV + V dP[/itex] for both of them, but at constant pressure, [itex]V dP =0[/itex], so that
[itex]dH = dU + P dV[/itex].

In the Gibbs free energy case, you have both constant temperature and pressure, so that both [itex]V dP =0[/itex], and [itex]S dT =0[/itex] giving us that
[itex]dG = dU + P dV -T dS[/itex].

2.) [itex]V dP[/itex] and [itex]\mu dN[/itex] are not generally expressions of the same thing. The chemical potential is not uniquely defined by the pressure, since it is a function of temperature as well. Where the enthalpy is equal to the internal energy plus the work needed to displace the atmosphere around the system at constant pressure ([itex]H = U + PV[/itex]), the Gibbs free energy is equal to this minus the heat taken (at constant temperature) from the surroundings to bring the system in thermal equilibrium with the surrounding atmosphere ([itex]G = H-TS[/itex]). In this sense the Gibbs free energy is like the internal energy plus the work you actually need to put in given that you get this heat for free.

1. What is Gibbs free energy and how is it related to enthalpy?

Gibbs free energy, also known as free enthalpy, is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of work a system can perform at a constant temperature and pressure. It is related to enthalpy through the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibbs free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

2. How does Gibbs free energy relate to spontaneity?

Gibbs free energy is a measure of a system's potential to do work. A negative ΔG indicates that the reaction is spontaneous, meaning it can occur without any external intervention. A positive ΔG indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without an input of energy.

3. What is the significance of the sign of ΔG in a chemical reaction?

The sign of ΔG indicates whether a reaction is exergonic or endergonic. An exergonic reaction has a negative ΔG and releases energy, while an endergonic reaction has a positive ΔG and requires an input of energy to occur.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between Gibbs free energy and enthalpy?

The relationship between Gibbs free energy and enthalpy is affected by the temperature through the ΔS term in the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS. A higher temperature will increase the magnitude of the ΔS term, making the overall value of ΔG more negative and increasing the likelihood of a reaction being spontaneous.

5. Can Gibbs free energy and enthalpy be used to predict the direction of a chemical reaction?

Yes, Gibbs free energy and enthalpy can be used to predict the direction of a chemical reaction. A negative ΔG and a negative ΔH indicate a spontaneous reaction that will proceed in the forward direction. A positive ΔG and a positive ΔH indicate a non-spontaneous reaction that will proceed in the reverse direction. A negative ΔG and a positive ΔH indicate a spontaneous reaction that will be endothermic (absorbs heat), while a positive ΔG and a negative ΔH indicate a non-spontaneous reaction that will be exothermic (releases heat).