Brushed motor solid magnet strength

In summary: I'll definitely check it out! In summary, it seems that you don't need a very strong magnet to make a strong motor. You can use an existing magnet, or design a stronger electromagnet.
swagguy8
hi guys! i was wondering if the solid magnet part of a brushed dc motor needs to be strong in order to make a strong motor? I'm designing a motor from scratch and wondering if i should use an existing ferrite magnet that is somewhat strong or should I design a electromagnet that is stronger.

thanks,
swagguy8

Physics news on Phys.org
A agree. You need to read up on DC motors.

It may seem obvious that a stronger magnet will give a stronger motor but it's not that simple. The strength of the magnet has an effect on the number of turns required to achieve the desired "no load rpm". Using a stronger magnet allows you to use fewer turns and so reduces losses in the winding resistance. In short a stronger magnet might produce a more efficient motor but (with some assumptions) both can produce a "strong" motor.

That said what do you mean by a "strong" motor? An ideal motor turns all the electrical power into mechanical power so they are all as "strong" as the power source. In the end it's real world effects that limit how much power a motor can deliver.

CWatters said:
A agree. You need to read up on DC motors.

It may seem obvious that a stronger magnet will give a stronger motor but it's not that simple. The strength of the magnet has an effect on the number of turns required to achieve the desired "no load rpm". Using a stronger magnet allows you to use fewer turns and so reduces losses in the winding resistance. In short a stronger magnet might produce a more efficient motor but (with some assumptions) both can produce a "strong" motor.

That said what do you mean by a "strong" motor? An ideal motor turns all the electrical power into mechanical power so they are all as "strong" as the power source. In the end it's real world effects that limit how much power a motor can deliver.

what I mean by strong is lots of horsepower, preferably high rpm

thanks for the replies everyone especially for that link, ultrafastped

Last edited:

I can say that the strength of the solid magnet in a brushed DC motor is a crucial factor in determining the overall strength and performance of the motor. The magnet plays a key role in generating the necessary magnetic field for the motor to function.

Using an existing ferrite magnet that is somewhat strong may be a viable option, but it is important to consider the specific requirements and specifications of your motor design. If a stronger magnetic field is needed for optimal performance, then designing an electromagnet may be necessary.

However, it is important to note that designing an electromagnet can be a more complex and time-consuming process compared to using an existing magnet. Factors such as the size, shape, and material of the magnet can also affect the overall strength and performance of the motor.

In conclusion, the strength of the solid magnet in a brushed DC motor is a critical aspect to consider in motor design. Careful consideration of the specific needs and requirements of your motor will help determine the best course of action for selecting the appropriate magnet.

What is a brushed motor solid magnet?

A brushed motor solid magnet is a type of permanent magnet that is used in brushed motors. These motors are commonly found in household appliances, power tools, and other devices that require a simple and reliable source of power.

How is the strength of a brushed motor solid magnet measured?

The strength of a brushed motor solid magnet is typically measured using a unit called gauss (G) or tesla (T). Gauss is the more commonly used unit, and 1 T is equal to 10,000 G. The strength of the magnet can also be measured by its magnetic flux density, which is the amount of magnetic flux per unit area.

What factors affect the strength of a brushed motor solid magnet?

The strength of a brushed motor solid magnet can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used, the shape and size of the magnet, and the presence of any external magnetic fields. The type of material used, such as neodymium or ceramic, greatly influences the strength of the magnet.

How does the strength of a brushed motor solid magnet affect its performance?

The strength of a brushed motor solid magnet directly affects the performance of the motor. A stronger magnet will result in a more powerful and efficient motor, while a weaker magnet may cause the motor to run slower or less smoothly. The strength of the magnet also determines the torque and speed of the motor.

Can the strength of a brushed motor solid magnet be increased?

Yes, the strength of a brushed motor solid magnet can be increased by using a higher grade of material, increasing the size or shape of the magnet, or by adding additional magnets to the motor. However, this may also increase the cost and complexity of the motor.