Can I run this with a solar panel?

In summary, solar panels produce DC voltage, which can be turned into AC using an inverter. A fan can be powered by DC from a solar panel, or from a car battery, using a low voltage DC fan.
dde0485
So I built an "air conditioner" that runs with a 6 inch personal fan that you can see here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OOJNZ0/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I want it to run 100% off the grid, meaning not plugging into my house. I planned on plugging it directly into a solar panel but when I was researching that there was a lot of electrical terms that I wasn't totally getting so I didn't want to risk it without fully understanding the workings. Is there a way I can power this fan directly from a small solar panel? There are some pics of the entire contraption posted below. Thanks in advance, guys!

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 815
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
They make that size fan that will run off 12V DC. That would make your life much easier. An inverter could work but you'll lose effiency.

You can run pretty much anything off of a solar panel providing that the solar panel is big enough. And you don't care if it doesn't run when it's cloudy. And you don't care if it doesn't run at night.

You need to figure out what the output of the solar panel is and what the requirements of the fan are. And neumeric is certainly right that you want to go with a DC fan to avoid inverter losses.

phinds said:
You can run pretty much anything off of a solar panel providing that the solar panel is big enough. And you don't care if it doesn't run when it's cloudy. And you don't care if it doesn't run at night.

You need to figure out what the output of the solar panel is and what the requirements of the fan are. And neumeric is certainly right that you want to go with a DC fan to avoid inverter losses.

Ok, great, thanks! I've never messed with solar panels before, do you just plug into it or have to wire into it?

dde0485 said:
Ok, great, thanks! I've never messed with solar panels before, do you just plug into it or have to wire into it?

I repeat:

You need to figure out what the output of the solar panel is and what the requirements of the fan are

Hi dde0485.
Solar panels are built up from arrays of individual solar cells, each of which gives about 0.5 volts.
A good basic summary is here: http://www.freesunpower.com/solarpanels.php

Do note that good panels produce about 15 watts per square foot of collector area and cost about $100. That should drive a small fan. Just don't expect a hurricane of cold air, 15 watts is 1% of the power available from a 120V socket and that will only power a room air conditioner.
As neumeric has pointed out, 12V panels are pretty standard, so you do not need to mess with power inverters to change the output to AC, just get a fan that runs on 12V. The kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter is probably the easiest.

dde0485 said:
Just checking: you are content to have the fan run only while the sky outside is nice and sunny?

Your Massey 6 inch clip fan operates on 120 volts AC (Alternating Current). http://massey-fan.en.alibaba.com/product/501186749-213039055/6_Clip_Fan.html

A solar cell panel produces a DC (Direct Current) voltage. To operate a fan “completely off grid” you have two options:
1. Use an inverter to convert the panel’s DC output to 120 VAC, 60 Hz, or

2. Find a fan that operates on low voltage DC. Automotive fans, for instance, operate on 12 VDC. Then connect your panels in series/parallel to give 12 VDC.

Option #1. is expensive and not efficient. Option #2. would be the easiest and cheapest.

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course, if your solar panel is not pointed directly at the sun, preferably in the middle of a sunny day, it will give you less power than it is rated for...

1. Can I run all of my electronic devices with a solar panel?

No, not all electronic devices can be run solely on a solar panel. The type and size of the solar panel, as well as the power consumption of the device, will determine if it is possible.

2. How many solar panels do I need to run my home?

The number of solar panels needed to power a home will depend on the energy needs of the household, as well as the efficiency and size of the solar panels. A solar energy professional can help determine the exact number needed for your home.

3. Can I use a solar panel during cloudy or rainy days?

Yes, solar panels can still generate electricity on cloudy or rainy days, although at a reduced efficiency. However, it is recommended to have a backup energy source for days with low sunlight.

4. Can I connect a solar panel directly to my electronic device?

No, a solar panel needs to be connected to a charge controller and battery before being connected to an electronic device. This ensures that the device receives a steady and stable flow of power.

5. Can I install a solar panel myself?

While it is possible to install a solar panel yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional for safety and efficiency reasons. A professional will also be able to properly size and install the solar panel for optimal performance.