Irreducibility Question (Rationals, Eisenstein)

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Eisenstein Criterion to prove that the polynomial x^4 + 2x^2 + 2 is irreducible in Q[x]. The participants also discuss the importance of all coefficients and the condition about the leading coefficient in the criterion. It is noted that the two forms of the criterion are equivalent since factoring out a constant does not affect irreducibility.
mattmns
Hello. I have this question from the book:

Prove that the polynomial [tex]x^4 + 2x^2 + 2[/tex] is irreducible in Q[x]. (Q being the rational fancy Q)
---

So I used Eisenstein Criterion (because we are dealing with the rationals) and said that the coefficents are: 1 (for x^4), 2(for x^2), 2 with the last 2 coefficients being the important ones. So I then said that let's use 2 as the prime, and then 2 | 2 (the middle coefficient), and 4 (2^2) does not divide 2 (the last coefficient), so [tex]x^4 + 2x^2 + 2[/tex] is not reducible in Q[x].

That seems quite acceptable to me, but the book has no examples, did I do the problem correctly? Danke!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All the coefficients are important, 2 divides the x^3 and x coefficients trivially. More importantly, there's a condition about the lead coefficient that you haven't mentioned...

Thanks, I did not think about those. However, I am not sure what you are talking about with the leading coefficient (I am guessing you are talking about the 1 in front of x^4).

In my book the definition of The Eisenstein Criterion is:

Let [tex]f(x) = x^n + a_{1}x^{n-1} + .. + a_{n}[/tex] be a polynomial with integer coefficients. Suppose that there is some prime p such that [tex]p|a_{1}, p|a_{2}, ..., p|a_{n}[/tex], but p^2 does not divide [tex]a_{n}[/tex] Then f(x) is irreducible in Q[x].
Hmm... I just looked in another book, and on wikipedia, at the definition of The Eisenstein Criterion and they both mention a property about the first coefficient (1 for x^4); specifically: p cannot divide the first coefficient(1 for x^4). Which looks true too. Not sure why one of my books says that and the other does not. Thanks

Last edited:
Your book is assuming a "monic" polynomial- the "leading coefficient" (the coefficient of the highest power) is 1 and no prime divides that so it isn't necessary to mention it. Since factoring out a constant doesn affect irreducibility, the two forms are equivalent.

HallsofIvy said:
Your book is assuming a "monic" polynomial- the "leading coefficient" (the coefficient of the highest power) is 1 and no prime divides that so it isn't necessary to mention it. Since factoring out a constant doesn affect irreducibility, the two forms are equivalent.
You are absolutely correct, I missed that part! Thanks.

1. What is meant by the "Irreducibility Question"?

The Irreducibility Question is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given polynomial with rational coefficients is irreducible, meaning it cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with rational coefficients. This question is often studied in the context of number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. What are "rationals" and how do they relate to the Irreducibility Question?

Rationals, or rational numbers, are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. The Irreducibility Question often deals with polynomials with rational coefficients, meaning the coefficients are rational numbers. This is because rational numbers have a finite number of decimal places, making them easier to work with in mathematical equations.

3. What is the significance of the Eisenstein criterion in the Irreducibility Question?

The Eisenstein criterion is a mathematical test used to determine the irreducibility of a polynomial with integer coefficients. It states that if a polynomial satisfies certain conditions, including having a prime number as its leading coefficient and all other coefficients being divisible by that prime number, then the polynomial is irreducible. This criterion is often used to simplify the process of determining the irreducibility of polynomials.

4. How is the Irreducibility Question relevant in other areas of mathematics?

The Irreducibility Question has important applications in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and algebraic number theory. It is also relevant in cryptography, as it can be used to create secure encryption algorithms. In addition, the concept of irreducibility is crucial in understanding the structure of mathematical objects such as polynomials and algebraic equations.

5. Is there a general solution to the Irreducibility Question?

Unfortunately, there is no general solution to the Irreducibility Question. It is a highly complex and difficult problem that has been studied by mathematicians for centuries. While there are various techniques and criteria that can be used to determine the irreducibility of specific polynomials, there is no single algorithm or formula that can be applied to all polynomials. Each case must be approached and solved individually.