Is f(x) = (x^3-2) irreducible over Z_p when 3 does not divide p-1?

• Thread starter TenaliRaman
  • Start date
In summary, given Z_p where p is a prime number, it is known that there exists an 'a' such that a^3 = 2 (mod p) and that 3 does not divide p-1. This implies that the equation (x^3-2) = (x-a)f(x) is irreducible over Z_p, except for the cases p=2 and p=3. This is because for any other prime number p, the equation can be simplified to (x-a)(x^2+ax+a^2) which only has a root if (-3/p) = 1, and this is not possible for p=2 and p=3. Therefore, 2 and 3 are
TenaliRaman
We are given Z_p, where p is prime. It is known that there is an 'a' such that a^3 = 2 (mod p) and that 3 does not divide p-1. Does this imply that f(x) in (x^3-2) = (x-a)f(x) is irreducible over Z_p?

I think this should be trivially easy to answer, but my mind is so muddled up at the moment, that i can't even think straight currently.

-- AI

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is usually.
Exceptions are p=2 and p=3
For p=2, a=0 and eqn is x^3-2=x^3=(x-a)x^2 so f=x^2=x.x
For p=3 a=-1 and eqn is
x^3-2=x^3+1=x^3+3x^2+3^x+1=(x+1)^3=(x-a)(x+1)^2
so f=(x+1)^2=(x+1)(x+1)
Otherwise p must be (3n + or - 1)+1, but except when p=3 this must be 3n+2.
r.h.s. is then (x-a)(x^2+ax+a^2) so f is x^2+ax+a^2
=(x+a/2)^2+3(a/2)^2
which clearly has a root iff (-3/p)=1 (meaning -3 is a quadratic residue mod p).
If p is 4k+3 then
(-3/p)=-(3/p)=(p/3)=((3n+2)/3)=(2/3)=-1 so no soap.
If p is 4k+1 then
(-3/p)=(3/p)=(p/3)=-1 so also no soap.
So 2 & 3 are the only exceptions.

Aha! (One of those aha moments!)
p = 2,3 case were being evident but i had no idea how to proceed for the general case.

Very Neat Solution Martin!

-- AI
P.S -> LoL! For a while i was wondering why we were considering the cases p = 4k+3 and 4k+1 above. Geez it didnt hit me completely for a while :P

Last edited:

What is the irreducibility problem?

The irreducibility problem is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given mathematical object, such as a polynomial or a group, can be reduced or simplified into a smaller form. In other words, it is the question of whether a complex object can be broken down into simpler components.

Why is the irreducibility problem important?

The irreducibility problem is important in various areas of mathematics and science, such as number theory, algebra, and computer science. It allows us to understand the fundamental structure of mathematical objects and can help us solve important problems in these fields.

What are some examples of the irreducibility problem?

Some examples of the irreducibility problem include determining whether a polynomial can be factored into simpler polynomials, whether a group can be decomposed into smaller subgroups, and whether a number can be written as a product of smaller numbers.

How is the irreducibility problem typically approached?

The approach to solving the irreducibility problem varies depending on the specific problem at hand. In some cases, it may involve using known algorithms or methods, while in others it may require developing new techniques. It often involves a combination of theoretical analysis and computational methods.

Are there any known solutions to the irreducibility problem?

Yes, there are some known solutions to specific instances of the irreducibility problem. However, in general, the problem is still open and remains a topic of ongoing research in mathematics and computer science.