Which Op-Amp Should You Use: Voltage or Current Amplifier?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between voltage and current op-amps and when to use them. The first op-amps were all current input devices, but with the use of resistors, they can also act as voltage input devices. The conversation also references a paper from Texas Instruments that compares the two topologies and suggests using the latest version of Acrobat Reader to access it. The conversation concludes with the recommendation to use other resources found through a Google search.
electronic engineer
in most cases would we prefer voltage op-amp or current op-amp and why?

when to use op-amp as voltage or current amplifier?

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Up until FET inputs on op-amps, ALL op-amps were current input devices. Using resistors in various feedback schemes they are made to act as voltage input devices.

ok , i got it now! could you please attach some schemes on both types (voltage and current op-amps)

thanks a lot!

i've download that file but couldn't be read by my PC , it says that the file is damaged

regards!

electronic engineer said:
i've download that file but couldn't be read by my PC , it says that the file is damaged

regards!
Check to be sure that you are using the latest Acrobat Reader version, and maybe see if any of your other friends can read it okay. Otherwise, just use the original google search to look for similar write-ups. The TI on is especially good though.

i have acrobat reader 7.0 ...what did you mean by write-ups could you clarify more, are they other softwares similar to acrobat reader...

many thanks to you!

By write-ups, I just meant some of the other hits on the google search that I mentioned. Best of luck. -Mike-

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic circuit component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages and outputs the result.

2. What is the purpose of an op-amp?

The purpose of an op-amp is to amplify a signal, perform mathematical operations, and act as a building block for more complex circuits.

3. What is the difference between current and voltage op-amps?

A current op-amp amplifies the difference between two input currents, while a voltage op-amp amplifies the difference between two input voltages.

4. How do you calculate the gain of an op-amp?

The gain of an op-amp is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) or as a unitless ratio.

5. How is negative feedback used in op-amps?

Negative feedback is used in op-amps to stabilize the output and reduce distortion. It involves feeding a portion of the output signal back to the input in the opposite phase, which reduces the overall gain of the circuit.