Is the amount of matter in the universe infinite?

In summary, the conversation delves into the idea of infinite matter in space and its implications on the volume of space. Different perspectives and theories are discussed, including the concept of an infinite zero-point energy and the possibility of the universe being infinite. The idea of different types of infinity is also mentioned. However, the physical limitations and contradictions of these theories are still being researched and debated in the field of astrophysics.
kmbop53
I have heard the theory that there is an infinite amount of matter in space. Wouldn't that mean that there is zero volume? so I am trying to say i think that there is a limited amount of matter.

actually i think that i just answered my question with numbers but I will pose the question anyway to hear peoples opinions,

the explination i just thought of is that there can be different amounts of infinity, such as there are an infinite amount of even numbers but paired with all of the odd numbers there is twice as much.

re-reading that last part i realized how badly worded it is and it probably just confused you more than anything.

Space news on Phys.org
There are several ways to approach this question. In astrophysics, we do not treat space as containing an infinite density of matter -- that is, a given volume has a finite amount of ordinary matter, dark matter, and dark energy. However, it is possible that the universe is infinite and that the total amount of matter in the universe is also infinite, despite everywhere having a finite density.

This is in contradiction with naive quantum field theories, which actually predict an infinite zero-point energy -- i.e. they say that the vacuum itself should have an infinite energy density. These infinities are almost certainly unphysical and the question of the zero-point energy is still an active area of research.

Finally, a naive Big Bang theory will produce an infinite density at the beginning of time (the "Big Bang Singularity"). This is probably also unphysical and hopefully will be resolved by theories of quantum gravity, which have been under discussion in several recent posts here.

the explination i just thought of is that there can be different amounts of infinity, such as there are an infinite amount of even numbers but paired with all of the odd numbers there is twice as much.

It looks like you are confusing a methematical concept, which is what the quoted remark refers to, and the physical question of the finiteness of the universe, as discussed by SpaceTiger.

1. What is an infinite amount of matter?

An infinite amount of matter refers to the idea that matter, which makes up everything in the universe, could exist in unlimited quantities. This concept is still debated among scientists and philosophers.

2. Is an infinite amount of matter possible?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that the universe is infinite and therefore contains an infinite amount of matter, while others propose that the universe is finite and therefore has a limited amount of matter.

3. How does the concept of an infinite amount of matter relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. This means that at the beginning of the universe, all matter was condensed into an infinitely small point. As the universe expanded, this matter was spread out, potentially creating an infinite amount of matter.

4. What implications does an infinite amount of matter have on the laws of physics?

An infinite amount of matter could challenge some of our current understanding of the laws of physics. For example, the concept of infinity is difficult to reconcile with the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

5. How does the possibility of an infinite amount of matter affect our understanding of the universe?

If it is proven that an infinite amount of matter exists, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially change our understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe, as well as the role of matter in the universe.