Solving a Difficult Physics Problem: Induced EMF

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rod moving at a constant speed along conducting rails in the presence of a varying magnetic field supplied by a parallel wire. The question at hand is to determine the induced emf in the rod, and after some calculations and integration, the answer is found to be incorrect. The conversation then delves into finding the correct steps and equations to solve the problem, resulting in the correct answer.
nahya
This problem is difficult to describe, so I'll post a picture.
http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic1ik.gif

The figure above shows a rod of length L caused to move at a constant speed v along horizontal conducting rails. The magnetic field B (the magnitude and direction of which are qualitatively shown by the figure) is not constant, but is supplied by a long wire parallel to the conducting rails. This wire is a distance a from the rail and has a current i.

L=3.13 cm, v=3.11 m/s, a=15.6 mm, and i=11 A.

What is the induced emf (e) in the rod?

---
B = (u_0 I)/(2pi y), and it is not uniform, so I integrated over y=a...L
I got (u_0 I)/(2pi)*ln(L/a).

emf = vBL = v * (u_0 I)/(2pi)*ln(L/a) * L = 3.11 * 1.544597242E-6 * 0.0313 = 1.503557293E-7 V

That is not the right answer, however.
I double-checked that my calculations are correct. So I'm guessing that my steps are incorrect. Can anyone point me to where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try this;

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi y}[/tex]

a is a constant; [itex]y = a + L[/itex]

[tex]\frac{dB}{dL} = \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi a + 2\pi L} \; dL[/tex]

[tex]B = \int^{0.0313}_{0} \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi a + 2\pi L} \; dL[/tex]

See if that works.

~H

Last edited:
Shouldn't the integration be done over y=a..a+L?

EDIT: I'm always too slow :smile:.

B was approximately 3.326E-4, and emf was 3.23762818E-5 V, which was still incorrect.
Am I using the right L for emf = vBL? I'm using 3.13 cm (0.0313 m).

I think you may have integrated in correctly you should obtain;

[tex]B = \int^{0.0313}_{0} \frac{\mu_{0} I}{2\pi a + 2\pi L} \; dL[/tex]

[tex]B = \left[ \frac{1}{2}\mu_{0}I \log (a + L) \right]^{0.0313}_{0}[/tex]

Also ensure that you are converting correctly, note that a is given in mm. You are using the correct equation here;

nahya said:
Am I using the right L for emf = vBL? I'm using 3.13 cm (0.0313 m)

~H

Last edited:
Thanks, that worked.
Weird, though, because I had used my calculator to graph the equation and integrate graphically.

nahya said:
Thanks, that worked.
Weird, though, because I had used my calculator to graph the equation and integrate graphically.

No problem. I prefer pen and paper :wink:

~H

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is a voltage that is created as a result of a changing magnetic field. It is caused by the movement of a conductor through a magnetic field or by a changing magnetic field passing through a stationary conductor.

2. How do you solve a difficult physics problem involving induced EMF?

Solving a difficult physics problem involving induced EMF requires a deep understanding of electromagnetic principles and mathematical calculations. It is important to carefully analyze the given problem, identify the relevant equations and variables, and apply the appropriate concepts and formulas to arrive at the solution.

3. What are some common applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has numerous applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in power generation, electric vehicles, and wireless charging devices.

4. What are some challenges in solving a difficult physics problem involving induced EMF?

Solving a difficult physics problem involving induced EMF can be challenging due to the complex mathematical calculations and the need to consider various factors, such as the speed of the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the conductor in relation to the magnetic field.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for induced EMF problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for induced EMF problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in electromagnetic principles and practice solving various types of problems. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and peers to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in solving induced EMF problems.