Need help with multiple choice questions

In summary, the conversation revolved around multiple choice questions related to a Carnot cycle, ideal gas, and a work problem involving an ice cube and a pond. The answers and discussions focused on finding the correct equations and understanding the concepts of thermodynamics.
Bradracer18
Ok guys, I’ve got a few multiple choice questions I need help with. Here they are, and thank you in advance!

All I know for this one is……Ql/Qh = Tl / Th Leaning towards B.
1. In a Carnot cycle
A. Qh > Ql * Th/Tl
B. Qh = Ql * Th/Tl
C. Qh < Ql * Tl/Th
D. Qh = Ql * Tl/Th

We are able to choose our own answer too, if none are correct below. I don’t think any of them are correct, so I chose Cp – Cv = R. If one of them is correct, I need to know. I’m thinking of choosing B.
2. For an ideal gas:
A. Cp = Cv
B. Cp > Cv
C. Cp < Cv
D. Cv = Cp + R

And, finally……I have this work problem.

3. Bill drops a 50 gram (0 deg C) ice cube into a large pond which is at 20 deg C. What is the total entropy change of the total process?

I found the change in the pond to be -71 J/K. So wouldn't the ice cube be 71 J/K, making the total process be zero? Or I also figured it to have the ice cube be about 5.4 J/K larger.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Ever hear of a reciprocal (1/x)? Qh/Ql = Th/Tl , so Qh = ...
2) So, if Cp - Cv = R , what is Cp ? Is this "R" positive or negative?

3a) What is the Temperature [K] of the ice as it melts?
What Q enters it meanwhile? Compute its entropy change (SIGN!)
3b) What is the Temperature of the pond as the ice melts?
What Q leaves the pond meanwhile? Compute its entropy change (SIGN!)

Hello Brad,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your multiple choice questions. I am happy to assist you in finding the correct answers.

1. In a Carnot cycle, the correct answer is A. Qh > Ql * Th/Tl. This relationship is known as the Carnot efficiency and it states that the heat input (Qh) is greater than the heat output (Ql) multiplied by the ratio of the temperatures at which the heat is added and removed (Th/Tl).

2. For an ideal gas, the correct answer is A. Cp = Cv. This is known as the heat capacity ratio and it states that the heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp) is equal to the heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) for an ideal gas.

3. For the work problem, the correct answer would be 71 J/K. This is because the total entropy change is equal to the sum of the entropy change of the ice cube and the pond. Since the entropy change of the pond is -71 J/K, the entropy change of the ice cube must be equal and opposite, resulting in a total entropy change of 71 J/K.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies! Remember, when in doubt, always double check your equations and units to make sure you have the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the best way to study for multiple choice questions?

The best way to study for multiple choice questions is to practice with previous exams or practice questions. This will help you familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked. It is also important to understand the material and concepts rather than just memorizing information.

2. How can I improve my performance on multiple choice exams?

To improve your performance on multiple choice exams, it is important to read each question carefully and eliminate any obviously incorrect answer choices. You should also pay attention to keywords and clues in the question that may help you narrow down the correct answer. Additionally, it is helpful to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on difficult questions.

3. Are there any strategies for guessing on multiple choice questions?

Yes, there are some strategies for guessing on multiple choice questions. For example, if you can eliminate one or more answer choices as obviously incorrect, your chances of guessing the correct answer increase. You can also use the process of elimination or choose the most common answer choice if you are unsure.

4. How can I avoid making careless mistakes on multiple choice exams?

To avoid making careless mistakes on multiple choice exams, it is important to read each question and answer choice carefully. Pay attention to keywords and double check your work before submitting your answers. It may also be helpful to take breaks during the exam to help you stay focused and avoid making mistakes.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the correct answer on a multiple choice question?

If you are unsure about the correct answer on a multiple choice question, you can use strategies such as process of elimination, choosing the most common answer choice, or taking an educated guess based on your understanding of the material. It is important to not leave any questions blank, as you may have a chance of guessing the correct answer.