Particle statistics- Three forces on force table

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of three forces of magnitude 10, 25, and 30 dynes in equilibrium on a force table. The task is to find the angles between the forces algebraically and graphically. The proposed solution involves using a force of reference and a two-equation system to find the angles, but the use of sine and cosine makes it difficult to solve. Another approach is to treat the problem as a SSS triangle and use the Law of Cosines.
shogunultra
Particle statics- Three forces on force table

I have the following problem:

Three forces of magnitude 10, 25, 30 dynes are in equilibrium on a force table.

a) find the angles between the forces algebraicly.

b) find the angles graphically

Here is how I attempted to solve a):

I considered one force to be my "force of reference", making it parallel to the x-axis and its vector pointing towards positive x.

Then I tried to find the angles that the other forces make with the x-axis by means of a two equation system, one for the X and one for the Y components of the forces, from which I know that their sum must equate 0.

Im stumped here, equation contains the angles in their sin form and the other contains them as cos, so not knowing any angle doesn't really give me two unknowns, but four.

Thankyou.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The resultant of the three forces need to be zero. Which means that the three vectors will form the sides of a triangle.

That would be the graphic way, but a) requests you to solve it algebraeicly.

I would think carefully about what andrevdh said, and dust off the old trig. textbook.
Think of the problem as a SSS triangle, and then think Law of Cosines.
Good Luck!

1. What is a force table?

A force table is a scientific tool used to study the effects of multiple forces on an object. It consists of a circular table with a central pivot point and a set of pulleys around the edge. Strings with weights can be attached to the pulleys to simulate and measure different forces acting on an object.

2. What are the three forces on a force table?

The three forces typically studied on a force table are tension, gravity, and friction. Tension is the force applied by a string or rope when it is pulled tight. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces.

3. How does particle statistics apply to a force table?

Particle statistics refers to the study of the behavior and interactions of individual particles, such as atoms or molecules. In the context of a force table, particle statistics can be used to analyze the forces acting on each individual weight attached to the strings. This can help predict the resulting equilibrium or motion of the weights on the table.

4. What is the purpose of using a force table in scientific experiments?

A force table is used in scientific experiments to study the effects of multiple forces on an object in a controlled and measurable way. It can help researchers understand the principles of equilibrium and motion, and how forces interact with each other.

5. How can the results from a force table experiment be applied in real life?

The principles learned from a force table experiment can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as understanding the forces acting on a structure or predicting the motion of objects in different situations. This knowledge can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to design and analyze systems that involve multiple forces.