Need Help with Differential Equation (integrating factor)

In summary, the problem is separable and has a simple integrating factor, but the person was stuck because they couldn't remember how to do the integral.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi there, I am having a bit of difficulty finding the integration factor for the following problem. The problem lies in taking the integral of a function of two variables. Anyways, here's what I have:

[itex] y^2+y-xy'=0[/itex]
I then divided by x (i prefer it this way), so

[itex] \frac{y^2+y}{x} + y' = 0 [/itex]

then, letting u be a integration factor:

[itex] \frac{duM}{dy} = \frac{duN}{dx}
\\\\\Rightarrow
\frac{du(y^2+y)x^{-1}}{dy} = -\frac{du}{dx}
[/itex]

[itex]
(\frac{du}{dy})(\frac{y^2+y}{x}) + u\frac{2y+1}{x} = -\frac{du}{dx}
[/itex]
Assuming that u is a function of only x, we get rid of the u partial with y term, so:
[itex]
\frac{du}{dx} = -u\frac{2y+1}{x}
\\\mbox{now doing some dividing on both sides and integrating}
\\
\int\frac{\delta\mu}{\mu} = -\int\frac{2y+1}{x}dx
[/itex]

Now this is where I'm stuck. I guess I can't remember how to integrate that right side. Can I just pull the (2y+1) term out of the integral assuming that its contant? Thanks for the help

edit: wow, this latex is really messed up. I'm working on it. The last equation, the integral is correct, and that's the most important part though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just make the case separable? Seems to me a lot easier this way
[tex] y^2+y - x y^{\prime} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{y^{\prime}}{y^2+y}=\frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{y^2+y} = \frac{dx}{x} [/tex]
and this is an easy integral to do.

You can't integrate that last integral precisely because in has y in it. Your assumption that the integrating factor u could be a function of x only is incorrect.

As xman pointed out, this is obviously a separable equation. (Which is the same as saying that
[tex]\frac{1}{x(y^2+ y)}[/tex]
is an integrating factor.)

wow, I cannot believe that I missed that. It was in the integrating factor section, so I just assumed it to be of that form.

I feel like an idiot, thanks a lot.

Note that usually, non-linear diff.eqs rarely can be solved by methods of finding integrating factors.
That is, the method of finding an integrating factor is mainly of use for solving linear diff. eqs.

On special occasions, though, you may succeed..

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It can be used to model many different physical phenomena and is an important tool in many areas of science and engineering.

2. What is an integrating factor in differential equations?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to simplify the process of solving a differential equation by allowing it to be rewritten in a more manageable form. It is typically used to solve equations that are not in the standard form of a separable or linear equation.

3. How do you find the integrating factor for a differential equation?

The integrating factor for a differential equation can be found by multiplying both sides of the equation by an appropriate function. This function is often determined by examining the structure of the equation and using techniques such as the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

Using an integrating factor can simplify the process of solving a differential equation by transforming it into a more manageable form. This can make it easier to find a solution and can also help to reveal important properties of the original equation.

5. Can an integrating factor be used for all types of differential equations?

No, an integrating factor is only useful for certain types of differential equations. It is most commonly used for equations that are not in the standard form of a separable or linear equation. However, there are other techniques that can be used to solve different types of equations, such as substitution or the method of undetermined coefficients.