To chancer, on physics in physical therapy

In summary, a forum member named "chancer" asked about the relevance of studying physics for physical therapy. Another member, Gary Chernack, suggests that understanding the vector nature of forces is important for preventing injuries when lifting objects. However, he is unable to register for the forum and asks for someone to relay his suggestion.
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Today, someone on the forums calling self "chancer" made a question which I
have a response to; maybe you could relay this to the forum?
Chancer is studying physical therapy and is also required to study a physics
sequence. This is in the Academic and Career forum. Chancer is not sure why
physics will be useful or necessary. My suggestion is basically about
preventing patients from becoming patients, specifically about lifting objects as
they relate to the vector nature of forces. People who are not physics educated
may not yet understand why lifting an object straight up vertically is very
different from lifting the same object "at an angle". More force is needed to
lift that object at an angle other than vertical because at the angle, more the
person's force vertically is reduced in the vertical direction; and so the
person must apply more force at an angle than if he just needs to lift
vertically (at "no" angle).

I wish I could tell chancer this. Could you comment for me on the forum,
since I have not been able to successfully register?

Gary Chernack

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that it is more to do with ultra sonic treatments.

As a scientist and a physics educator, I completely agree with your suggestion to Chancer. Understanding the vector nature of forces is crucial in physical therapy, as it helps prevent injuries and strain on the body while lifting objects. By lifting at an angle, the force needed to overcome the weight of the object increases due to the vertical component of the force being reduced. This is why it is important to teach patients the proper techniques for lifting objects, whether it be vertically or at an angle.

Additionally, physics also plays a role in understanding the mechanics of the human body and how it responds to different movements and forces. This knowledge can aid in designing effective exercise and rehabilitation programs for patients.

I hope Chancer will see the value of studying physics in physical therapy and its practical application in preventing injuries and promoting overall well-being. Thank you for bringing this important topic to the forum.

1. What is the role of physics in physical therapy?

Physics plays a crucial role in physical therapy as it helps in understanding the biomechanics of human movement and the forces involved in various exercises and treatments. It also helps in the design and use of equipment and devices used in physical therapy.

2. How does knowledge of physics help in preventing injuries in physical therapy?

Knowledge of physics helps physical therapists in understanding the limitations of the human body and how to apply proper techniques and forces to prevent injuries during therapy sessions. It also helps in identifying potential risk factors and designing safe and effective treatment plans.

3. How is physics used in the evaluation of patient progress in physical therapy?

Physics is used to measure and analyze various parameters such as range of motion, strength, and balance, which are essential for evaluating patient progress in physical therapy. It also helps in identifying any improvements or limitations in the patient's movement patterns or function.

4. Can physics principles be applied to improve the effectiveness of physical therapy treatments?

Yes, physics principles such as leverage, force, and momentum can be applied to make physical therapy treatments more effective. For example, using proper body mechanics and positioning can maximize the force applied during exercises, resulting in better outcomes for the patient.

5. How does the use of physics in physical therapy benefit patients?

The use of physics in physical therapy helps in providing evidence-based treatments and improving the overall effectiveness and safety of therapy sessions. It also allows for a more personalized and efficient approach to treatment, leading to better outcomes for patients.