Number of Partitions of equal length (of a set)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of partitions of a set S with cardinality 8, where the partitions have equal length. The number of partitions for #P=8, #P=4, #P=2, and #P=1 are discussed, with explanations and reasoning provided for each. The correct formula for calculating the total number of partitions of equal length is also given.
mattmns
Not really homework, but something that our professor asked us the other day.

Here is the question (I think):
Let S be a set with #S=8. Find the number of partitions of S with equal length.
-------
That probably makes no sense, namely the equal length part, so let me elaborate.

Note: Let P be a partition of S. Also, an n-subset is a subset with cardinality n

He wants us to count the number of partitions P for, #P=8, #P=4, #P=2, #P=1. Hence, there will be 8 1-subsets for #P=8, 4 2-subsets for #P=4, 2 4-subsets for #P=2, and 1 8-subset for #P=1.------------
For #P=8 there is only one way to partition the 8 elements into 1-subsets. (P = {{a1},{a2},{a3},...,{a8}})

For #P=1 there is only one way to partition the 8 elements into an 8-subset. (P = {{a1,a2,a3,...,a8}})

For #P=2, I believe there to be [itex]\binom{8}{4}[/itex] partitions.
Reasoning being that the order of the elements in each element in the partition does not matter, and we will be choosing the first element in the partition which has 4 elements in it, from a total of 8 elements.

For #P=4, I am not 100% sure, but this is what I think. The number will be: [tex]\frac{\binom{8}{2}\binom{6}{2}\binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}}{4!}[/tex].
My reasoning being the following. We will first choose the first element in the partition which has 2 elements in it, and we have 8 elements to choose from, then we will have 6 to choose from for the second 2 element set in our partition, etc, but we must divide by 4! since we counted the order of these 4 elements in our partition.

By the addition principle our total number of partitions of equal length will be: [tex]1+1+\binom{8}{4}+\frac{\binom{8}{2}\binom{6}{2}\binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}}{4!}[/tex]

Does this look correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"#P" actually means |P|?

It looks correct except that C(8, 4) also counts the order of the partitions just as C(8, 2) * C(6, 8) * C(4, 2) does.

Yes, I think. I am using "#P" as the cardinality of P.

I think I see what you are saying with the order of the C(8,4) part. So I would need to divide by 2 for C(8,4).

Thanks.

1. What is the definition of the number of partitions of equal length of a set?

The number of partitions of equal length of a set is the number of ways a set can be divided into non-overlapping subsets of the same size.

2. How is the number of partitions of equal length of a set calculated?

The number of partitions of equal length of a set can be calculated using the formula n!/k!(n/k)!, where n is the size of the set and k is the size of each subset.

3. Can the number of partitions of equal length of a set be greater than the size of the set?

No, the number of partitions of equal length of a set cannot be greater than the size of the set. It is always equal to or less than the size of the set.

4. What is the significance of the number of partitions of equal length of a set in mathematics?

The number of partitions of equal length of a set has applications in combinatorics, number theory, and algebraic topology. It also has connections to the binomial coefficients and Stirling numbers.

5. Can the number of partitions of equal length of a set be negative?

No, the number of partitions of equal length of a set cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative integer.