Exploring Popular and Challenging Fields of Physics: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, according to the content, it is harder to get into grad school for physics fields that are not as popular. However, the fields that are popular might have more potential for employment.
vincebs
Hello everyone,

Which fields of physics are the most popular these days, that everyone wants to get into? I'm suspecting that string theory is one of them...

Which fields of physics aren't as popular, but still have a lot of open problems in them?

Is it harder to get into grad school for popular physics fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to some outside source that I read at some point (perhaps not credible, can't remember), most physicists classify themselves as Condensed Matter physicists. So this is a popular field, but one that has a lot of potential in terms of employment. There are lots of openings in industry if you do condensed matter. Another popular one is astrophysics, but has less applications. As for popularity, I'm unsure. I would expect that it would be challenging to be accepted into an astrophysics program, since from my experience a lot of bright students go into this program, but take that with a grain of salt.

That's the thing that confuses me. If a field is popular, does that mean there is a lot of potential for employment? Or does it mean that since so many people want to get into the field, it is saturated?

i too will appreciate if there were more comments on this thread...ty

At least at my school much of the research going on is either soild state and/or condensed (depends on the professor), nano-technology (which I think, personally, is more of an enigneering thing), and inderdisplinary physics (atmospheric, biophysic, and physical chemistry).

We only have one "true" "Theorist" at my school.

"Popular" might also depend on the institution. My graduate school had (and still has) MANY MANY candidates to the grad program wanting to do AMO -- "popular" because of the recent BEC flurry of publications.) With that regard, we often refused admission to candidate B that wanted to work for one of the main groups, but really didn't have the credentials of another admitted candidate A with similar research interests (and yet admit candidate C who was interested in a different field but had similar research experience and scores as candidate B).

Applying to grad schools is a funny process, and it might be better to look at how many professors at each institution are doing research in your field of interest, and estimate how many applicants might be wanting to enter that field... and guess your chances at getting into the program.

You really probably DON'T want to pick a field based on "popularity"... do what YOU are interested in... (and that MIGHT include some weighting by job prospects, but should not entirely). Base your grad application process on your credentials and interests to be efficient.

Physics

I always preferred super symmetry and number theory applications in physics.

Nanotechnology seems a hot topic

So let's say I want to get into a certain field

and that field happens to be a popular one, like there's a flurry of reports about it in general science magazines

Does that mean that there will be better prospects for me to get a job because the government might want to invest in it? Or less because so many people want to get into it?

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics allows for probabilistic outcomes.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum and how is it related to physics?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Physics studies the properties and behavior of electromagnetic radiation and how it interacts with matter.

3. What are the four fundamental forces of nature?

The four fundamental forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles and objects in the universe and are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

4. What is the role of fields in physics?

Fields are physical quantities that exist throughout space and can influence the behavior of objects within their range. They are essential for understanding how forces and energy are transmitted between objects and how particles interact with each other.

5. How does the study of thermodynamics relate to other fields of physics?

Thermodynamics is the study of heat and its transformation into other forms of energy. It is closely related to other fields of physics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Understanding thermodynamics is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in various systems.