Force on a Current in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire in a magnetic field that is hung from the ceiling and swings upward due to a current in the wire. The equation F = ILB sin(theta) is used to solve for the angle theta, but the incorrect use of theta in the equations leads to an incorrect answer. This is later realized and corrected.
dookedoo
Help - Force on a Current in a Magnetic Field

Homework Statement

Magnetic and gravitational forces

A horizontal wire is hung from the ceiling of a room by two massless strings. A uniform magnetic field is directed from the ceiling to the floor. When a current exists in the wire, the wire swings upward and makes an angle with respect to the vertical (wire is in equilibrium).

p21-85.gif

The wire has a length of 0.20 m and a mass of 0.065 kg and carries a current of 42 A. The magnitude of the magnetic field is 0.060 T.

(e) What is the algebraic expression for the angle in the drawing? Express your answer in terms of the current I in the wire, the length L of the wire, the magnitude B of the magnetic field, the mass m of the wire, and the magnitude g of the acceleration due to gravity.

Homework Equations

F = ILB sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

While this is a relatively easy problem, I still can't see what mistake I am making.

First, given that the wire is in equilibrium,
sigmacap.gif
Fx = 0 and
sigmacap.gif
Fy = 0

The three forces acting on the wire in the question are Tension in the two
Strings, the magnetic force from the magnetic field acting on the wire, and the force of gravity.

Using right hand rule, the magnetic force points to the right. It has to be perpendicular to the magnetic field and current (current replacing the velocity component in the right hand rule)

Knowing this, three equations are generated:

2T = Tension of two strings
the tension can be resolved into x and y components
x-component = 2Tsin(theta)
y-component = 2Tcos(theta)

Magnetic Force = ILBsin(theta) going to the right

Force of Gravity = mg going down

using Netwon's second law,
2Tcos(theta) - mg = 0
2T = mg / (cos(theta)) // solving for 2T using y-components

2Tsin(theta) - ILBsin(theta) = 0

2Tsin(theta) = ILBsin(theta) // solving for theta
2T = ILB
mg / (cos(theta)) = ILB // substitution from previous equation
mg / ILB = cos(theta)

arccos( mg / ILB ) = theta
This is the answer I arrived at for question (e), but according to my online problem set this answer is incorrect. If any insight could be given that would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two different angles that you have called theta. They are not the same.

apelling said:
There are two different angles that you have called theta. They are not the same.

Haha yeah, i just back from school today and figured it out during the day; one of my friends pointed it out. Silly me thinking you could cancel the sin(theta)'s. Thanks for the help.

What is force on a current in a magnetic field?

The force on a current in a magnetic field is a phenomenon in which a current-carrying conductor experiences a force when placed in a magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the force on a current in a magnetic field calculated?

The force on a current in a magnetic field is calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(θ), where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the conductor, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the current and the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the force on a current in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a current in a magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will face in the direction of the force.

What factors affect the force on a current in a magnetic field?

The force on a current in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, the length of the conductor, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field. The force is directly proportional to the current and the magnetic field strength, and inversely proportional to the length of the conductor.

What are some real-life applications of force on a current in a magnetic field?

The force on a current in a magnetic field has many practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices like loudspeakers, microphones, and magnetic levitation trains. Understanding this phenomenon is crucial in the development of many technologies that we use in our daily lives.