Is it too late to go back to school at 32?

• Thread starter light_bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, go to school at 32 if you feel you need to, but be prepared for a long and challenging journey.
light_bulb
do you think going to school at 32 is a good idea? I'm 28 now but due to some setbacks i need to get my life, body and mind in order before i go back to school. i think i need prep time so i can run right out of the gate while others want to push me before i feel i can swim. should i go to school now or do what i feel is the best method for myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I'd always do what I know is good for me. Whilst there can be circumstances where I'll choose a poor route - that mostly applies when I'm not as fully as informed as I think I am - don't have all the facts. It's certainly something that's up to you, I can't see there being many new limitations introduced - and the fact that you feel you need more time before you're ready says to me that it's required. You will need to be committed to school when you get there so that you know you have the best chance you're capable of.

thanks, i think i already know what's best for myself (maybe i just need some reassurance :tongue: ) i just have family members telling me that all i do is waste time and that I'm not showing anything :grumpy:

are you worried about being too old to back to school? daveb on this forum got his bachelor's in math and physics at UCLA around age 40 I think. pm him for how his experience was

Any time is a good time - as long as you are mature enough (and financially able) to handle it, and it sounds like you understand that. I'll be finishing my BS at age 41.

You can also work a little bit on your general education requirements now and find out what kind of unit load you can handle while working (I'm assuming that you are). Sometimes it is better to ease in and test the waters than to just dive into the deep end right away.

Last edited:
My mom went back to school in her 50's. She had gone from high school into nursing school, which back in the 1950's did not provide degrees.

She decided that since all her kids had college degrees, she ought to do the same. So she did! :approve:

1. When is the best time to go back to school?

The best time to go back to school depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Some people may prefer to go back during the traditional academic year, while others may choose to go back during the summer or take classes online. It's important to consider your schedule and commitments before deciding on the best time for you.

2. How do I know if I'm ready to go back to school?

There is no one right answer to this question, as readiness to go back to school can vary for each individual. Some factors to consider include your current level of education, financial stability, and personal motivation. It's important to reflect on your reasons for wanting to go back to school and determine if you are mentally and emotionally prepared for the challenges ahead.

3. Is it worth going back to school?

This is a common question, and the answer ultimately depends on your goals and aspirations. Going back to school can provide you with new skills, knowledge, and opportunities for personal and professional growth. However, it's important to weigh the costs and benefits and determine if it aligns with your long-term goals.

4. What are the benefits of going back to school?

Some potential benefits of going back to school include gaining new knowledge and skills, expanding career opportunities, and personal growth and development. It can also provide a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. Additionally, many employers value individuals who are continuously learning and seeking to improve themselves.

5. How do I finance going back to school?

Financing your education can be a major concern for many individuals. There are various options available, such as scholarships, grants, loans, and employer tuition reimbursement programs. It's important to research and compare these options to determine the best fit for your financial situation.