Solving Impedance/Admittance for V_s w/ 2 Caps, 2 Inductors, 2 Res.

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage V_s in a circuit with 2 capacitors, 2 inductors, and 2 resistors, given a current of 2A at an angle of 0 degrees. A new diagram is created and the left hand equivalent impedance is combined to simplify the circuit. The final calculation for V_s is 9.581cos(t+29.70).
VinnyCee
Impedance and Admittance: Find Vs given Io in a circuit with 2 caps,2 inductors,2res

Homework Statement

Find [itex]V_s[/itex] if [itex]I_0\,=\,2\angle0\deg[/itex] A.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6291/problem954zz0.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL, KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a new diagram:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9359/problem954part2gz3.jpg

But how do I combine the left hand equivalent impedance, so that the final circuit to work on would be this:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1690/problem954part3fj1.jpg [tex]\frac{1}{Z_3}\,=\,\frac{1}{Z_1}\,+\,\frac{1}{j4\Omega}\,=\,\frac{1}{2\,+\,2j}\,+\,\frac{1}{4j}[/tex]

Figuring [itex]V_o[/itex]:

[tex]V_o\,=\,I_o\,Z_2\,=\,\left(2\angle0\right)\left(2\angle45\right)\,=\,4\angle45[/tex]

[tex]I_L\,=\,\frac{V_0}{j2}\,=\,\frac{4\angle45}{\sqrt{2}\angle63.43}\,=\,\frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}\angle-18.43[/tex]

[tex]I_1\,=\,-\left(I_L\,+\,I_0\right)\,=-\left[\,\left(\frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}\angle-18.43\right)\,+\,\left(2\angle0\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]V_1\,=\,I_1\,Z_1[/tex]

I need this to find [itex]V_s[/itex].

[tex]V_s\,=\,V_1\,-\,V_0[/tex]

How do I finish? Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did the calculations and conversions of complex rectangular to polar and got this as a final answer:

[tex]V_S\,=\,9.581\,cos\left(t\,+\,29.70)[/tex]

Does that look right?

I would suggest using a combination of KCL and KVL to solve this circuit. First, we can simplify the circuit by combining the two capacitors and two inductors into equivalent impedances. The equivalent impedance for two capacitors in parallel is given by:

Z_{eq}=\frac{1}{j\omega C_1}+\frac{1}{j\omega C_2}

Similarly, for two inductors in series, the equivalent impedance is given by:

Z_{eq}=j\omega L_1+j\omega L_2

Now, we can redraw the circuit with these equivalent impedances:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9359/problem954part2gz3.jpg

Next, we can apply KCL and KVL to the circuit to find the voltage across the current source, V_s. Applying KCL at node A, we get:

\frac{V_s-V_1}{Z_1}+\frac{V_s}{Z_{eq}}=I_0

Applying KVL along the loop at the top, we get:

V_s+V_1+V_0=0

Substituting the value of V_1 from the first equation into the second equation, we get:

V_s+\left(I_0Z_1-Z_{eq}\right)+V_0=0

Solving for V_s, we get:

V_s=-I_0Z_1+Z_{eq}-V_0

Now, we can substitute the values for Z_1, Z_{eq}, and V_0 to get the final expression for V_s:

V_s=-2\angle0\left(2+j4\right)+j\left(\frac{1}{j\omega C_1}+\frac{1}{j\omega C_2}\right)-4\angle45

This can be simplified further by using the given values for the capacitors and inductors. I hope this helps to solve the problem. Keep in mind that there may be other approaches to solving this circuit, and it is always important to double check your calculations and assumptions.

What is impedance and admittance?

Impedance and admittance are two important concepts in electrical engineering that describe the opposition to the flow of current in an electrical circuit. Impedance is the total resistance to the flow of current in a circuit, while admittance is the measure of how easily current can flow through a circuit.

What is the significance of solving for impedance/admittance with 2 capacitors, 2 inductors, and 2 resistors?

Solving for impedance/admittance with these components allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a more complex circuit. By understanding the impedance and admittance of each component, we can determine the overall response of the circuit and make informed design decisions.

How do I solve for the impedance of a circuit with 2 capacitors, 2 inductors, and 2 resistors?

To solve for the impedance of a circuit, you will need to use the appropriate formulas for each component. For capacitors, the impedance is given by 1/(jwC), where j is the imaginary unit, w is the frequency in radians per second, and C is the capacitance in Farads. For inductors, the impedance is given by jwL, where L is the inductance in Henrys. For resistors, the impedance is simply the resistance value. Once you have calculated the impedance of each component, you can use the formula Z = Z1 + Z2 + Z3 + ... to find the total impedance of the circuit.

Can I use the same approach to solve for admittance?

Yes, the same approach can be used to solve for admittance. However, instead of adding the impedances of each component, you will need to add the admittances, which are the reciprocals of the impedances. The total admittance can be found using the formula Y = Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + ...

What are the limitations of solving for impedance/admittance with 2 capacitors, 2 inductors, and 2 resistors?

The approach of solving for impedance/admittance with these components may not be applicable to all types of circuits. For example, circuits with non-linear components or circuits with more than two ports may require a different approach. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by factors such as component tolerances and parasitic effects.