Points where gradient is zero (plotting it)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of points on a curve where dy/dx=0. The equation of the curve is x^2+2xy-3y^2+16=0 and the attempt at a solution involves using the product rule and solving for x and y values. The question is also asked about plotting the function in Mathematica.
W3bbo

Homework Statement

A curve has equation:

x^2+2xy-3y^2+16=0

Find the co-ordinates of the points on the curve where dy/dx=0

I think I was able to differentiate it and get the coordinates fine, but I'm wanting to plot the function in Mathematica (5.2) to see if I'm right or not (BTW, I tried Ma's Dt[] and Differential[] functions, but I can't interpret the results. And plot[f, {x,-2,2}] just gives me error messages because y is undefined).

2. The attempt at a solution

x^2+2xy-3y^2+16=0

2x+2x(dy/dx)+y-3(2y(dy/dx))=0

y+2x+(dy/dx)(2x-6y)=0

(dy/dx)=-(y+2x)/(2x-6y)=0

For the fraction to equal zero, the numerator must also be zero, therefore:

-y-2x=0
y=-2x

Given this, substituting this value for y:

x^2+2x(-2x)-3(-2x)^2+16=0
x^2-4x^2-12x^2+16=0
-15x^2+16=0

Therefore (using the quadratic formula):

x=Sqrt(960)/-30
x=Sqrt(960)/30

but it seems a little hackish to me, this from a past-paper (Edexcel Advanced Level C4, 28th June 2005), usually you get integer answers.

But besides asking if I'm right, how can I plot functions with multiple instances of x and y within? I'm guessing I'd need to convert it to a parametric somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
W3bbo said:
A curve has equation:

x^2+2xy-3y^2+16=0

2. The attempt at a solution

x^2+2xy-3y^2+16=0

2x+2x(dy/dx)+y-3(2y(dy/dx))=0

y+2x+(dy/dx)(2x-6y)=0

diff. gives [itex] \ 2x + 2x \frac{dy}{dx} + 2y - 3(2y \frac{dy}{dx} ) = 0 [/itex]

f(x) said:
diff. gives [itex] \ 2x + 2x \frac{dy}{dx} + 2y - 3(2y \frac{dy}{dx} ) = 0 [/itex]

Where did [itex]+2y[/itex] come from? I didn't have a solitary [itex]y^2[/itex] expression.

EDIT: Ah I see, product rule; I forgot to reapply the coefficient (2) of xy after performing the product differentiation.

Still, how can I plot the function?

Last edited:
the question is asking for the critical points of the surface right? I have a question do you need to graph this function? Do you need to find the saddle points and min max?

Mathgician said:
the question is asking for the critical points of the surface right? I have a question do you need to graph this function? Do you need to find the saddle points and min max?

I'm not being asked to plot the graph, and I've since found what I think are the right co-ordinates (by substituting the resolved value of y into the equation and solving) as [itex]{ (2,0) , (-2,0) }[/itex].

I want to plot the graph out of personal curiosity, to see what the graph actually looks like (but also to make sure I'm right). I haven't covered the plotting of implicit functions on my curriculum's syllabus though. Hence why I'm asking :)

1. What are points where gradient is zero?

Points where gradient is zero, also known as critical points, are locations on a graph where the slope or rate of change is equal to zero. In other words, the tangent line to the curve at these points is horizontal.

2. Why are points where gradient is zero important?

Points where gradient is zero are important because they can indicate the maximum or minimum values of a function. They can also help determine the behavior of a function, such as whether it is increasing or decreasing, and can be used to solve optimization problems.

3. How do you find points where gradient is zero?

To find points where gradient is zero, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. You can also graph the function and visually identify where the tangent line is horizontal.

4. Can there be more than one point where gradient is zero?

Yes, there can be multiple points where gradient is zero, depending on the complexity of the function. These points can be local (relative) or global (absolute) minimums or maximums, or points of inflection.

5. How do points where gradient is zero relate to the overall shape of a graph?

Points where gradient is zero are important in determining the overall shape of a graph. They can help identify the presence of extrema, concavity, and inflection points, which all contribute to the overall behavior of a function. Additionally, the number of points where gradient is zero can give insight into the complexity of the graph.