The Group A_4 as a Split Extension.

In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework problem, but was stuck because there wasn't enough variety in the remaining elements of A_4 for him to decide which of them should be mapped to 1 and which should be mapped to 2. He eventually solved the problem by creating a surjective homomorphism from A_4 to \mathbb{Z}_3 whose kernel is H.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let [itex]H[/itex] be all the elements of the alternating group [itex]A_4[/itex] of exponent 2. Show that [itex]A_4[/itex] is a split extension of [itex]H[/itex] by [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown that [itex]H[/itex] is normal in [itex]A_4[/itex]. I also have the proof of the following proposition:

Let [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] be groups whose orders are relatively prime and let [itex]f:G \rightarrow K[/itex] be an extension of [itex]H[/itex] by [itex]K[/itex]. Then the extension splits iff [itex]G[/itex] has a subgroup of order [itex]|K|[/itex].

Let [itex]H=H[/itex] (as defined in the problem statement), let [itex]K=\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex], and let [itex]G=A_4[/itex]. Then certainly the orders of [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] are relatively prime. Also, [itex]A_4[/itex] certainly has a subgroup of order 3. Just take the identity, a product of disjoint transpositions, and its inverse and you have a subgroup. So referring back to the definition of an extension, I've reduced the problem to finding a surjective homomorphism [itex]f: A_4 \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] with [itex]\ker(f)=H[/itex].

Now I'm stuck. I know I need the homomorphism to map all 4 elements of [itex]H[/itex] to 0 in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]. But there doesn't seem to be enough variety in the remaining elements of [itex]A_4[/itex] for me to decide which of them should be mapped to 1 and which should be mapped to 2.

Little help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter, there's an automorphism of Z_3 taking 1 to 2. Remember the map is constant on cosets of H.

Good grief, I can't believe I didn't notice that. :redface:

Thank you.

I finished the problem. In case anyone's interested, here's the rest of the solution. Not being a mathematical genius, I had to write out the multiplication table for the elements of [itex]A_4[/itex] that are not in [itex]H[/itex]. I noticed that there were two distinct equivalence classes of elements, that when multiplied by each other give an element of [itex]H[/itex] and when multiplied by an element of the other class given an element of [itex]A_4[/itex] not in [itex]H[/itex]. So I arbitrarily chose to send one class to 1 and the other to 2 (in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex], that is).

Elements going to 1:
(1 2 3)
(1 4 2)
(1 3 4)
(2 4 3)

Elements going to 2:
(1 3 2)
(1 2 4)
(1 4 3)
(2 3 4)

Clearly, [itex]f[/itex] defined in this way is a surjective homomorphism from [itex]A_4[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] whose kernel is [itex]H[/itex]. And now that I'm done, I see that I have an even slicker proof that [itex]H[/itex] is normal in [itex]A_4[/itex], since it is the kernel of a homomorphism out of [itex]A_4[/itex]. I rule. :cool: :biggrin:

I caught a mistake in the opening post.

Tom Mattson said:
Also, [itex]A_4[/itex] certainly has a subgroup of order 3. Just take the identity, a product of disjoint transpositions, and its inverse and you have a subgroup.

That doesn't give a subgroup at all. To get the desired subgroup of order 3 you have to take the identity, a 3 cycle, and its inverse.

OK, I think I'm finally done with this. :zzz:

Question 1: What is the Group A_4?

The Group A_4, also known as the alternating group, is a finite group of even permutations of four distinct objects. It has 12 elements and is a subgroup of the symmetric group S_4.

Question 2: What is a Split Extension?

A Split Extension is a type of group extension in which the normal subgroup and quotient subgroup are both direct factors of the larger group. In other words, the larger group can be broken down into the normal subgroup and quotient subgroup.

Question 3: How is the Group A_4 related to a Split Extension?

The Group A_4 can be represented as a Split Extension of the Klein four-group (V_4) and the cyclic group of order 3 (C_3). This means that A_4 is the larger group, V_4 is the normal subgroup, and C_3 is the quotient subgroup.

Question 4: What is the significance of the Group A_4 as a Split Extension?

The Group A_4 as a Split Extension is significant in the study of group theory as it is the smallest nontrivial example of a Split Extension. It also has applications in mathematical physics, specifically in the study of crystal structures and quantum mechanics.

Question 5: How can the concept of a Split Extension be extended to other groups?

The concept of a Split Extension can be extended to other groups by replacing the normal subgroup and quotient subgroup with different groups, as long as they are both direct factors of the larger group. This allows for the study of various group structures and their relationships to one another.