How to Add Images to Forum Posts: Tips and Tricks for Scientists

• Thread starter lpfr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding help on how to include an image in a post on a forum. The option to use the [IMG] tag or the "manage attachments" button is mentioned, and it is suggested that it would be beneficial to allow IMG tags in other forums for better explanations.
lpfr
I feel stupid, but I can't find the "help" to use the forum. What I'm looking-for is what to do to include an image in a post.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
there is https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/editor/insertimage.gif button when you post.

or, you can type this thing:

[IMG]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/Prime_Logo.gif[/[b]IMG[/b]]

and it turns into:

https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/theme/Prime_Logo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm... according to this it should not work.

I believe that images are only enabled in this and the General Discussion Forum. You can tell by looking at the bottom left corner of the page when making a new post. There is a box that indicates if images are enabled - On or Off. If they aren't, only the link will appear.

You can also attach images by using the "manage attachments" button when making a new post [not quick replies].

Thanks! Some explanations really need an image.
It is the "manage attachments" button what I needed.

Last edited:
Would it be desirable to allow IMG tags in other forums? There are occasions where images/diagrams could be helpful in an explanation; it is rather cumbersome to provide a web link at the bottom of your post to the image and attachments tend to take a while to be approved.

What is the best file format to use when including an image?

The most commonly used and universally supported file formats for images are JPEG, PNG, and GIF. JPEG is best for photographs, PNG is best for graphics with transparent backgrounds, and GIF is best for simple animations.

How do I resize an image for inclusion in a document or website?

You can use image editing software, such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP, to resize an image. Alternatively, you can use HTML code to specify the desired height and width of the image in pixels. Keep in mind that resizing an image may affect its quality, so it is best to use a high-resolution image if you need to resize it.

Can I include copyrighted images in my work?

No, it is important to obtain permission from the copyright owner before using any copyrighted images. This includes images found online or in print publications. If you are unable to obtain permission, you can use images that are labeled for reuse or in the public domain.

How do I properly credit the source of an image?

When using an image that is not your own, it is important to provide proper attribution. This can be done by including the name of the creator, the title of the image, and the source or website where it was found. It is also a good practice to include a link to the original image if possible.

What should I do if the image is not appearing correctly on my website?

If the image is not appearing as expected, make sure that the image file is properly saved and uploaded to your website. Check the HTML code to ensure that the image source is correct. If the image is still not appearing, try clearing your browser's cache or using a different browser.