Force on Current in a Wire: A,B,C?

In summary, the force exerted on a current carrying wire located in an external magnetic field is directly proportional to the current in the wire, the magnetic field strength, and the length of the wire. This is represented by the given expression, and option D is the correct answer. The equation also indirectly accounts for the length of the wire through the integration of dl.
wakejosh

Homework Statement

The force exerted on a current carrying wire located in an external magnetic field is directly proportional to which of the following?
a. current in the wire
b. magnetic field strength
c. length of the wire
d. answers a, b and c are all correct
e. none of the above are correct

The Attempt at a Solution

pretty sure its D. just wanted to get a second opinion. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yo man, that sounds like an IB paper 1 question.

You doing IB Physics too?

wakejosh, the force exerted on a current carrying wire located in an external magnetic field is given by the following expression:

62ns7sz.jpg

What does that tell you? :)

well, it tells me that A and B are correct, but I'm just not totally sure if C is correct, but since I don't have any options to say that A and B are correct, then I am thinking D has to be the correct answer, and that wire length is also important.

Good use of logic skills there!

But the integral of dl is length... so the equation does tell you about length.

wakejosh, the thing is when you integrate between "A" and "B", what you get is the length (of course, if both the current intensity and magnetic field don't depend on the length, you can simply extract them from the antiderivative and when you integrate, you simply get the length).

1. What is the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field?

The force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field is known as the Lorentz force. It is given by the equation F = I * L * B, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

The direction of the current in the wire determines the direction of the force. If the current is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no force. If the current is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be maximum.

3. What is the right-hand rule for determining the direction of the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will face the direction of the force acting on the wire.

4. How does the strength of the current affect the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

The strength of the current is directly proportional to the force on the wire. This means that as the current increases, the force on the wire will also increase, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force on current in a wire in a magnetic field?

The force on current in a wire in a magnetic field is the basis for many everyday technologies such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in science and medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.