Reading acceleration vs. time graphs

In summary, the particle starts from rest at the origin and has a negative acceleration at the beginning. At t=1 sec, it reaches its maximum speed and then continues at a constant velocity until t=5 sec. The velocity at t=5 sec is either -1 m/s or -2 m/s. The position at t=5 sec is -4.5 m.
exi

Homework Statement

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4572/graphrj8.jpg

(The particle starts from rest at the origin.)

1: What is the velocity at t = 5s?

2: What is the position at t = 5s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking -2 m/s velocity and -8 m position at t = 5s, but would like someone to double-check my understanding of reading velocity and position from this graph. The negative acceleration at origin combined with that instantaneous change at t = 1 have me a bit unsure of myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The zero acceleration simply means that the speed is constant after 1 sec, i.e. there is no further acceleration.

So the maximum speed (magnitude of velocity) is achieved at 1 sec.

Starting from rest with a negative acceleration, this would imply acceleration in the negative direction. Normally negative acceleration would imply a deceleration in the + direction.

Astronuc said:
The zero acceleration simply means that the speed is constant after 1 sec, i.e. there is no further acceleration.

So the maximum speed (magnitude of velocity) is achieved at 1 sec.

Starting from rest with a negative acceleration, this would imply acceleration in the negative direction. Normally negative acceleration would imply a deceleration in the + direction.

yes sir, so does my thinking at t = 5 sound correct, or am I a bit off?

What is the velocity at 1 sec? It is constant thereafter.

Either -1 or -2 m/s. That change at t=1 is what's making me a little unsure as to whether there's an extra increment of acceleration.

So velocity at t=5 is either -1 or -2, and position is... I'm still guessing -8 based on what I mentioned in the original post, but that depends on what I'm asking here, as well.

Well, for 1 s, the acceleration is constant at -1 m/s2.

v = a*t = -1 m/s2 * 1 s = ?

At t = 1 s, the acceleration drops to zero. That is a discontinuity. Since a = 0, v is constant and equal to v(t= 1s).

Okay, so at t = 5, velocity is -1 m/s.

Oh wow, I was way off on that. Am I correct in using:

[tex]\Delta x = V_ot + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

twice, once for t(0,1) and t(1,5), adding the results, and getting -4.5m for position @ t=5s?

The problem can be broken into two time intervals, yes. 0 to 1s, with constant acceleration, the 1 to 5s, at constant velocity.

For the first part of the problem, vo = 0, a = -1 m/s2, over the time interval 0 to 1s.

For the second part of the problem, vo = - 1 m/s, and a = 0, for t = 1 s to 5 s.

and -4.5m for position @ t=5s is correct.

Last edited:

1. What is a reading acceleration vs. time graph?

A reading acceleration vs. time graph is a visual representation of the acceleration of an object over a period of time. It shows how the velocity of an object changes as time progresses.

2. How is a reading acceleration vs. time graph interpreted?

The slope of a reading acceleration vs. time graph represents the acceleration of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration. The area under the curve represents the total distance traveled by the object.

3. What does a flat line on a reading acceleration vs. time graph indicate?

A flat line on a reading acceleration vs. time graph indicates that the object is not accelerating and is maintaining a constant velocity. This could mean that the object is at rest or moving at a constant speed.

4. How are reading acceleration vs. time graphs used in science?

Reading acceleration vs. time graphs are used in science to analyze the motion of objects. They can help scientists understand how an object's acceleration changes over time and can be used to make predictions about future motion.

5. How can reading acceleration vs. time graphs be used to calculate the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be calculated by finding the slope of the reading acceleration vs. time graph at a specific point. This can be done by selecting two points on the graph and using the formula for calculating slope (change in y / change in x).