Angle of Vector B & X-Axis: Calculate Degrees

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a vector's components and magnitude. They discussed the use of direction cosines and drawing a rectangle to help visualize the vector. The student also learned about dot products and received assistance in finding the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The student expressed frustration with online courses and thanked those who helped.
anglum

Homework Statement

Vector B has x y and z components of 6.7, 4.7, 2.4 and the magnitude of Vector B is equal to 8.599

what is the angle between Vector B and the x-axis. answer in units of degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure where to begin on this one... i hate online physics courses BLAH

Physics news on Phys.org
can i figure this out wiht a formula or do i need to draw it out?

Have you covered direction cosines of vectors?

i don't recall covering that

would i assume 8.599 squared = 6.7squared + A squared
A = 5.39

then use those as the lenghts of the sides for the triangle to use the cosine of the angle to get my answer?

then solving for that angle i get 38.8162364?

Draw a rectangle with the dimensions of the dimensions (lol). Then use pythagoras on the faces to find the angle.

That's THE best way to deal with 3D vectors.

Ok. Consider a vector [itex]\mathbf{a}=(a_1, a_2, a_3)[/itex] and imagine the angles between that vector and the vectors [itex]\mathbf{\hat{i}}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/itex] are [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex] \gamma [/itex] respectively. Knowing that the magnitude of the vector is [itex]a[/itex] we can use pythagorean theroem to say that:

[tex] cos(\alpha) =\frac{a_1}{a} [/tex]

[tex] cos(\beta) = \frac{a_2}{a} [/tex]

[tex] cos(\gamma) = \frac{a_3}{a} [/tex]

Thus we note:

[tex] \mathbf{\hat{a}} = \frac{\mathbf{a}}{|\mathbf{a}|}=cos(\alpha)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+cos(\beta)\mathbf{\hat{j}}+cos(\gamma)\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/tex]

Now knowing thiscan you find the angle between the x-axis and the vector with the information you have?

Last edited:
i am totally lost on ur idea to draw a rectangle of that... once i draw that rectangle how do i use pythagoras on the faces to find the angle?

ok KURDT i solved the cos of all 3 of those angles

the first angle is 38.816 degrees
the 2nd angle is 56.867 degrees
the 3rd angle is 73.79337 degrees

correct?

Yeah they look fine. So its relatively simple once you know about direction cosines which very few establishments teach in my experience.

im not sure my next step once i have those 3 values

http://i14.tinypic.com/4y548c8.png

That's what I mean. If you can visualize the vector, you'll be able to solve the problem faster. In an exam, you don't have time to waste.

kurdt once i solve for those 3 values what step do i take next??

i understand why i get those 3 angles I am just lost on the last steps i need now

You have the answer. The first angle is the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The second is the angle between the vector and the y-axis and the 3rd is the angle between the vector and the z-axis.

Do you know dot products? That's a much simpler way out of this mess.

so from the original problem i posted... .where the angle between Vector B with an arrow drawn over the B and x-axis is 38.826 degrees? becuz when i enter that onto the online classroom it is wrong

I get 35.049. Try that.

i tried that black wyvern and it was incorrect

anglum said:
so from the original problem i posted... .where the angle between Vector B with an arrow drawn over the B and x-axis is 38.826 degrees? becuz when i enter that onto the online classroom it is wrong

Thats because the magnitude you gave seems to be slightly out using the components you gave. Check them and make sure they are correct.

my answer of 8.599 for the magnitude of that vector was my answer to part a of the question and that was accepted as a correct answer

so i am not sure what the problem is with my answer of 38.816

Possibly the question is not asking to find the angle in terms of a spherical co-ordinate.

anglum said:
my answer of 8.599 for the magnitude of that vector was my answer to part a of the question and that was accepted as a correct answer

so i am not sure what the problem is with my answer of 38.816

Given the components from your first post I get 8.529 to 3 d.p. for the magnitude.

KURDT you are the man ( not sure if u are a female or not) but u get the idea... for some reason my answer of 8.599 must have been within the range for part a but when using that for part b it threw it way off

thank you sooo much

Me too. I just checked that as well.

anglum said:
KURDT you are the man ( not sure if u are a female or not) but u get the idea... for some reason my answer of 8.599 must have been within the range for part a but when using that for part b it threw it way off

thank you sooo much

No problem. I am a man (I just have a lot of hair!) and I'm glad I could help. As Dick suggested on the previous page, you may want to brush up on dot products as well. Having learned about direction cosines you should have no problem understanding them.

Last edited:
EDIT: lol never mind. glad you got the answer anglum. :smile: Did the online program accept it?

Last edited:
yea learning it did... it kinda pisses me off i lost some pts on it considering my answer of 8.599 was accepted as the answer of the magnitude of vector B however when using that to solve for part b it skewed my answer to where it wasnt accepted... i know its only a few pts difference on the homework but hey every lil but helps

thanks to all who help me wiht my struggles... i cannot begin to describe how difficult these concepts are to gather strictly from an online class

You'd think they'd scale it so they would accept answers on later questions with max and min answers from previous questions. Never mind, you got there.

1. What is the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis?

The angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis is the angle formed between Vector B and the positive X-axis. It is measured in a counterclockwise direction and can range from 0 to 180 degrees.

2. How do you calculate the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis?

To calculate the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis, you can use the trigonometric function arctan (or tan^-1) to find the ratio of the opposite side (y-coordinate of Vector B) to the adjacent side (x-coordinate of Vector B). Then, take the inverse tangent of this ratio to find the angle in radians. You can convert radians to degrees by multiplying by 180/pi.

3. What is the difference between the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis and the angle of Vector B?

The angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis specifically measures the angle formed between Vector B and the positive X-axis. The angle of Vector B, on the other hand, measures the angle formed between Vector B and the origin. It can range from 0 to 360 degrees.

4. Can the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis be negative?

No, the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis cannot be negative. It is always measured in a counterclockwise direction and ranges from 0 to 180 degrees.

5. In what situations would you need to calculate the angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis?

The angle of Vector B with respect to the X-axis is often used in physics and engineering to describe the orientation of an object or the direction of a force. It can also be useful in graphing and analyzing data in mathematics and statistics.