Grad School (engineering/physics)

In summary, when applying to grad school for physics, a good GRE score and GPA of 3.0 or higher are generally expected. However, some departments may have higher standards and research experience and strong recommendations can also make a difference. Additionally, public speaking and teaching skills can be beneficial. For engineering, a graduate degree may lead to better job opportunities, higher salary, and potential for advancement.
Winzer
I plan to get a BS in Engineering Physics and then apply to grad school and go for a masters in Mechanical. But what are "good" grad school looking for? Obviously good GRE and GPA, but how good? Also, what about grad school for physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, grad schools want a 3.0 GPA or higher. Of course, some grad departments are more selective than others. You may need a higher GPA to be competitive. On the other hand, if your GPA is slightly lower than a 3.0, you still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere.

I'm told recommendations and research experience can balance a world of sins elsewhere.

They look at a lot of different things collectively, and each department is going to have its own methods. So at best, we can only speak generally. :(

If I get a C in one of my physics classes how bad will that hurt me?

I am pretty sure I am going to end up with a C in the class, but if I retake it, I know for a fact I could get a B or possibly an A. The only thing is I delay taking my other physics courses.

I got a C in a physics class...it bothered me a lot for a while, then I started finding out that a lot of the people that were in it with me got the same or lower, and that it was well known among physics juniors and seniors for being something we all had to survive but that most everyone didn't do particularly well in. It happens sometimes, that's why you have a Physics GPA instead of just looking at your lowest grade over four years.

Asphodel said:
I'm told recommendations and research experience can balance a world of sins elsewhere.

Absolutely. And don't underestimate public speaking and teaching skills. Grad departments need TA's, and undergrads really don't like TA's they can't understand.

Locrian said:
And don't underestimate public speaking and teaching skills.

Yeah...need to work on those. I saw some MIT grad doing an oral session at a conference recently...and his public speaking skills were about as bad as I know mine are. So while I know you can survive without, I'm trying to figure out how to get myself into a low-pressure low-commitment situation where I can get practice (i.e. so I can skip out and do homework as often needed ^_^).

Locrian said:
and undergrads really don't like TA's they can't understand.

"Really don't like"==>"@&)(&$&!"? :yuck:

Well, the class I am taking is not upper-level. But it is a difficult class; it just got ranked as one of the hardest classes to pass in the U.S., with a 25% pass rate. The thing is, do I want this C on my transcript? Which of course I really don't. But should I drop and retake it?
This is really dishearting situation to me, an aspiring physics major.

Physics classes can be hard. There is a reason people cringe when you tell them you're pursuing physics. Physics classes can be hard.

That being said,

"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration" - Einstein.

Even if you can't get an A in the class, as long as most of the other students can't either and you are working hard then you should be fine. Did I mention physics is hard? This is meant to be encouragement BTW.

Off topic, but not thread worthy:
What are the differences between an undergraduate degre and a grad school degree in terms of job availability, salary and advancement possibilites in engineering generally speaking?

Dissonance in E said:
Off topic, but not thread worthy:
What are the differences between an undergraduate degre and a grad school degree in terms of job availability, salary and advancement possibilites in engineering generally speaking?

Go here, and look at the Employment Salary statistics for physics degrees. I would assume similar statistics can be found with the relevant engineering societies.

Zz.

bhimberg said:
Physics classes can be hard. There is a reason people cringe when you tell them you're pursuing physics. Physics classes can be hard.

That being said,

"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration" - Einstein.

Even if you can't get an A in the class, as long as most of the other students can't either and you are working hard then you should be fine. Did I mention physics is hard? This is meant to be encouragement BTW.

huh? I thought Thomas Edison said that.

bhimberg said:

That being said,

Yah I talk to a lot of people and they say "change your major!" But the thing is, I can't because I like physics too much. I go to an engineering specialty school but I don't think I could be an engineer.

bhimberg said:

That being said,

bah any kind of prepackaged class is easy. original work is hard.

your GRE quant score will help out a lot

1. What is the average length of a graduate program in engineering or physics?

The average length of a graduate program in engineering or physics is typically 2-3 years for a master's degree and 5-6 years for a doctoral degree. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and the individual's progress.

2. Is it necessary to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or physics to apply for graduate school?

While having a bachelor's degree in a related field can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to have a degree specifically in engineering or physics to apply for graduate school. Some programs may require prerequisite courses or a strong foundation in math and science, but each program has its own specific requirements.

3. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree in engineering or physics?

A master's degree in engineering or physics typically focuses on advanced coursework and may include a research component, while a doctoral degree involves both advanced coursework and original research in the form of a dissertation. A doctoral degree is also considered a more advanced and specialized degree compared to a master's degree.

4. How important are grades and test scores in the graduate school application process?

Grades and test scores are important factors in the graduate school application process, but they are not the only factors. Other components such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements also play a role in the admissions decision. It is important to have a strong overall application to increase your chances of being accepted.

5. Are there any financial aid options available for graduate students in engineering or physics?

Yes, there are various financial aid options available for graduate students, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process. Many universities also offer funding packages for their graduate students.