Solving Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the homework statement is saying that the equation for the limit of a function can be solved if the function has a common denominator. The equation can be solved by collecting terms with respect to the variable x.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

At this link, in the solution to question B3,
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1999s.pdf
how did they get the second-to-last equality? Right above the words "and the desired limit is"?

I tried factoring every way I know how and it did not work out!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seemed straightforward to grind it out.

After finding a common denominator, xy is clearly a factor of the numerator. If you collect terms w.r.t. x, 1-y is clearly a factor of each coefficient. (And by symmetry, the same will be true when you collect terms w.r.t. y)

Alternatively, if you just attempted to naively compute the limit without bothering to factor, you'd see that

xy * [ 1 - x^2 + x^3 y^2 - y^2 + x^2 y^3 - x^3 y^3 ]

has a zero at x = 1. Therefore, x-1 must be a factor, and so you can divide it out of the numerator and denominator. Similarly for y-1.

Incidentally, you don't have to be quite so clever to solve this problem. If you simply rearrange the sum for S(x, y) into an ordinary double sum (maybe, split it into even n and odd n), it looks like you can just brute force compute the closed form for S(x, y) by repeatedly applying the geometric series formula.

Last edited:
Incidentally, what I said is surely what I would have done if I were actually taking the exam.

(1) Rewrite the problem in a familiar form.
[tex]S = \sum_{\frac{1}{2} \leq \frac{m}{n} \leq 2} x^m y^n
=
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} \sum_{m = \lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil}^{2n} x^m y^n
[/tex]

(2) To eliminate the ceiling function, separate into even and odd n.

[tex]S_1 = \sum_{p = 1}^{+\infty} \sum_{m = p}^{4p-2} x^m y^{2p-1}[/tex]

[tex]S_2 = \sum_{p = 1}^{+\infty} \sum_{m = p}^{4p} x^m y^{2p}[/tex]

[tex]S = S_1 + S_2[/tex]

(3) Compute the inner sum.

[tex]S_1 = \sum_{p = 1}^{+\infty} y^{2p-1}
\frac{x^{4p - 1} - x^p}{x - 1}[/tex]

(4) Separate the sums and compute again.

[tex]S_1 = \frac{1}{x-1} ( S_{1,1} - S_{1,2} )[/tex]

[tex]S_{1,1} = \sum_{p=1}^{+\infty} y^{2p-1} x^{4p-1}
= \frac{y x^3}{1 - y^2 x^4}[/tex]

[tex]S_{1,2} = \sum_{p=1}^{+\infty} y^{2p-1} x^{p}[/tex]

And so forth.

Once I get the closed form solution, unless I make a lucky observation, I would either

(A) Manage to factor the numerator.
(B) Plug in x=1 and thus notice that x-1 must be a factor.
(C) Realize that the limit can only exist if the x-1 in the denominator gets canceled out in the numerator.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
After finding a common denominator, xy is clearly a factor of the numerator. If you collect terms w.r.t. x, 1-y is clearly a factor of each coefficient. (And by symmetry, the same will be true when you collect terms w.r.t. y)

What do you mean collect terms with respect the variable x? Do you mean write it as a polynomial in x? I do not see how that is straightforward?

Last edited:
Example of collecting terms in x:

1 + y + x - x^2 - xy^2 - x^2 y = (1 + y) + (1 - y^2) x - (1 + y) x^2

OK. Thanks.

1. How challenging is Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam?

Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam is considered to be a very challenging problem. It is a question that requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think creatively and critically in order to come up with a solution.

2. What is the main focus of Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam?

The main focus of Question B3 is to test the problem-solving abilities of the participants. It requires a combination of skills such as analysis, critical thinking, and mathematical reasoning to find a solution.

3. Is there a specific strategy to solve Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam?

There is no specific strategy to solve Question B3. It is a complex problem that can be approached in different ways. Some strategies that can be useful include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem, and trying out different approaches until a solution is found.

4. How much time is usually given to solve Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam?

Usually, participants are given a total of six hours to solve all 12 problems on the Putnam Exam. This means that they have an average of 30 minutes to solve each problem. However, Question B3 is considered to be a more time-consuming problem, and participants may spend more time on it compared to other questions.

5. What skills are necessary to solve Question B3 from the 1999 Putnam Exam?

To solve Question B3, a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills are crucial. Participants should also have the ability to think creatively and outside the box to come up with a solution. Good time management and the ability to work under pressure are also important skills to have for this type of exam.