Up to Date on The Second Coming

• Thread starter rudinreader
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of computing and the frustration of not being able to understand the inner workings of modern computers. The participants mention articles on prophesies and the future of computing, as well as their personal opinions on the subject. They also touch on the challenge of understanding assembly language and the importance of computer science. Some mention the difficulty of understanding modern technology while others argue that it is possible with time and effort.
Thanks for the link mech_engineer.. They have a lot of intriguing products at good prices.. One project that I am kind of considering (a couple years down the road) is to read through Knuth's Art of Computer Programming, and preferably do the exercises on the lowest level device as possible (I'm not sure if this would make sense as of yet..).. Could be I could use a parallax device..

As for a reason why anyone would want to do that, here's a clip from a conversation with Bill Gates at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/billg/speeches/2005/07-18FacultySummit.aspx:

MARIA KLAWE:...And I wondered if you had just ideas that would help us or whether Microsoft has ideas that might help computer science departments stay on top of the most recent technological developments.

BILL GATES: Well, certainly it's the goal of our University Relations Group to make sure that we're talking about what we think the state of the art problems are, finding out from the universities and a lot of dialogue back and forth about that. In a certain sense, yeah, the curriculum has changed, but say somebody came for an interview and they said, "Hey, I read the 'Art of Computer Programming', that's all I ever read, I did all the problems, I would hire them right then."

MARIA KLAWE: You'd hire them right then.

BILL GATES: Yeah, that's right.

MARIA KLAWE: So would I.

I'm not saying necessarily that I wan't to work for Microsoft (as opposed to becoming a Math professor), but I found it interesting how his ideal new hire would have studied just Art of Computer Programming...

Another quoute I found interesting
BILL GATES:--- it's about time you guys figured out how to take n processors and get n capability out of these things, and now just go do that.

Well, that turns out to be one of the great unsolved problems, and yet there's no way around it. I mean, literally Intel is going to have 32-processor systems running at 5 gigahertz, and that's what a modern PC will be, say, within four or five years. So we certainly need brilliant people thinking about that problem, what's going to go on with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
The Art of Computer Programming is literally the bible of computer science. If you know the stuff between its covers, you know 90% of what's really important about programming a computer.

Being a computer scientist is not about knowing lots of programming languages, or being able to use Visual Studio to make graphical applications, or being able to download and use a math library.

Being a computer scientist means understanding the deep, important subjects that underly all computer programming -- data structures, algorithms, and trade-offs. Those three topics literally define computer science. All the rest that goes on top of it (PHP, Visual Basic, etc.) is fluff. The fluff is easy to learn, and changes yearly -- that's why Microsoft would rather hire programmers who have ignored the fluff and studied only the deep magic.

This is why I think this entire thread is misguided, rudinreader. You seem to be mistaking pretty graphical interfaces, network applications, layers of abstraction on top of the hardware, rapid application development languages, etc. as computer science, but they aren't.

In the same vein, interior design is not architecture.

- Warren