Designing State Table for Sequential Circuit: A-B to Z

In summary, the conversation is about designing a state table for a sequential circuit and calculating the next state of A and B to determine the output Z. The person is unsure if they can get help, but they are determined to try and have already provided a table showing the inputs, next state, and output values. The question is how the next state and output values are calculated, and the suggestion is to look into Mealy and Moore state machines for more information.
ibaraku
I don't know if I can get help here, but it's worth trying, I have to design a state table for a sequential circuit, the table looks like this

P St Input N St Output
A B X Y A B Z
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 1 0
0 0 1 1
0 1 0 0
0 1 0 1
0 1 1 0
etc...

My question is, how is the Next state of A B an Output Z calculated?
Thanks for you help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are going to have to explain your truth table a bit more, or at least what your circuit is trying to do.

ibaraku said:
I don't know if I can get help here, but it's worth trying, I have to design a state table for a sequential circuit, the table looks like this

P St Input N St Output
A B X Y A B Z
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 1 0
0 0 1 1
0 1 0 0
0 1 0 1
0 1 1 0
etc...

My question is, how is the Next state of A B an Output Z calculated?
Thanks for you help in advance!

Thread moved to Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, ibaraku. The outputs are defined by whatever function you are trying to make with your state machine. You will be given a function, or a truth table, from which you design the logic and flipflop arrangement to make those next state and output values. Look in your study materials for information on Mealy and Moore state machines, or look them up on wikipedia.org

1. What is a state table in sequential circuit design?

A state table is a graphical representation of the states and outputs of a sequential circuit. It shows the relationship between the states, inputs, and outputs of the circuit, and is used to design and analyze sequential circuits.

2. How do you create a state table for a sequential circuit?

To create a state table, you must first identify all possible states of the circuit. Then, determine the inputs and outputs for each state. Next, create a transition table that shows the relationship between the current state, input, and next state. Finally, use this information to construct the state table.

3. What is the purpose of a state table in circuit design?

A state table is used to design and analyze sequential circuits. It helps to visualize the behavior of the circuit, identify potential problems, and ensure that the circuit functions correctly.

4. How do you handle don't-care states in a state table?

Don't-care states are states where the output does not matter. These states can be handled by either leaving them blank in the state table or assigning them a specific output value if it is known. Don't-care states can also be used to optimize the circuit design by reducing the number of states.

5. Can a state table be used for any type of sequential circuit?

Yes, a state table can be used for any type of sequential circuit, including finite state machines, counters, and shift registers. It is a universal tool for designing and analyzing sequential circuits.