Simple pendulum, det the change of its period?

In summary, the change in period of a simple pendulum with a length of 3.00m is -0.001777s when taken from a point with g=9.80ms2 to a higher elevation where g decreases to 9.79ms2. The period of the ideal pendulum only depends on length and acceleration due to gravity, and the change in period is small due to the small change in g. The answer is subject to some discrepancy due to the number of significant figures used in the calculations.
hemetite
Qn. A simple pendulum has a length of 3.00m. Det the change in it period if it is taken from a point where g=9.80ms2 to a higher elevation where the acceleration due to gravity decreases to 9.79ms2.

i cannot seem to start the question and a bit unsure here...

here is what i get...

Formula to use:
T = 2 pie sqrt L/g

i dun think the answer is just (T=2pie sqrt L/9.80) - (T=2pie sqrt L/9.70) right?

What i know, is that when the g start to reduce is at the point when it is starting going in the opposite direction, away from the equilibirium.(lowest point)

Please help to get me..i am stuck here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it isn't just the difference of the two periods? I think it is.

isnt a the period pendulum is the same assuming that there isn't any damping?

The period of the ideal pendulum just depends on L and g. In the real world, sure, it also depends on damping and the amplitude of the oscillation. But this looks like a pretty straightforward question. Just give the easy answer.

Thanks for you opinion...i also think that it is a straightforward answer..but no confidence...anyway...just try...to err is a learning process..

thank you again..

i did the equations...working.

Change of period
= (T=2pie sqrt 3/9.80) - (T=2pie sqrt 3/9.79)
= 3.4768 - 3.4786
= - 0.0018s

is the answer logical?..

Well, g only changes by a fraction of a percent, so the change in the period is small. And the period should go up as g goes down. So I'd say it's logical. But is it correct? You are subtracting two numbers of similar magnitude, so if you need to, you should worry about how many significant figures are correct. Especially since I don't seem to get exactly the same numbers as you. What are you using for pi?

hemetite said:

That accounts for the discrepancy.

the answer is i got after re-correction = -0.001777s

I get -0.001775...s, but I'll call that good enough.

thanks...see how it goes...when i submit the answers..

1. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. These three factors have a direct relationship with the period, meaning that if any of them increase, the period will also increase.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is known as the "length effect."

3. How does the mass of the pendulum bob affect its period?

The period of a simple pendulum is also affected by the mass of the pendulum bob. However, this effect is not as significant as the length effect. The period is directly proportional to the square root of the mass, meaning that as the mass increases, the period will increase, but not as much as it would with an increase in length.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity. This means that as the acceleration due to gravity increases, the period decreases. This relationship is known as the "gravity effect."

5. How can we calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes small angles of oscillation and negligible air resistance.