Double Slit Experiment: Accounting for Other Particle Interactions

In summary, the double slit experiment is used to show wave interference, which results in the formation of alternating patterns on the surface.
Tac-Tics
So, after reading a few different explanations of the double slit experiment, there is one aspect I am confused about. The set up is that you shoot out electrons/photons/whatever at a wall with two small slits. The particles pass through one slit, the other, or both if you're not looking.

But none of the explanations has mentioned the other possible outcomes. Walls must be made of atoms. When you fire an electron or photon at a wall of atoms, you're not always going to hit the hole. An electron might stick to a lose ion in the wall. A photon might be absorbed or it might bounce back. How are these accounted for in the amplitude distribution of the experiment? My thought was that the calculated amplitude distribution only describes the particles that successfully make it through the holes at all. This compounds with the fact that in many versions, the detector only detects a particle at a single position on the far wall, and there is no way to tell whether an individual particle even made it through a hole.

I'm sure this is just a simplification in these "thought experiment" versions of the setup, but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not completely sure if this the answer to the question you're asking. But the double slit experiment is only used to show wave interference, that coinciding waves with the same properties will constructively combine into a strong one, and waves whose crests do not match up will cancel each other out. The result of the slits is that one source of light is split into two sources which radiate light with the same properties (wavelength). When these two waves interact and interfere, and alternating pattern is formed on the surface.

Tac-Tics said:
My thought was that the calculated amplitude distribution only describes the particles that successfully make it through the holes at all.
Right. :smile:

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of light is shone through two parallel slits. This beam of light then diffracts, or spreads out, as it passes through the slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is caused by the waves of light interfering with one another, creating regions of both constructive and destructive interference.

3. What is the purpose of the double slit experiment?

The purpose of the double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. This means that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, depending on how it is observed. The double slit experiment helps scientists understand the fundamental nature of light and its behavior.

4. What are the applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has many applications in both fundamental physics research and everyday technology. It has been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as electrons, and has also been applied in fields such as optics, quantum computing, and telecommunications.

5. Are there any variations of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double slit experiment that have been developed over the years. These include the single photon double slit experiment, which uses single particles of light, and the delayed choice double slit experiment, which explores the role of observation in determining the behavior of particles. There are also variations that involve using different types of particles, such as electrons or atoms, instead of light.