Elastic collision of neon atom problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a neon atom and an unknown atom colliding elastically. The unknown atom's mass is represented by M and the neon atom's mass is 20 u. After the collision, the neon atom travels away at a 57.9° angle and the unknown atom travels away at a -45.4° angle. The law of sines is suggested as a way to solve for the mass of the unknown atom. The equations for momentum and energy are set up, but there are more unknowns than equations. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use algebra to isolate M and solve the problem.
mithanon

Homework Statement

A neon atom (m = 20.0 u) makes a perfectly elastic collision with another atom at rest. After the impact, the neon atom travels away at a 57.9° angle from its original direction and the unknown atom travels away at a -45.4° angle. What is the mass (in u) of the unknown atom? [Hint: You can use the law of sines.]

variables
m = neon = 20 u
M = mass of unknown
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 57.9°
[tex]\phi[/tex] = 45.4°
v = initial velocity of neon
v' = final velocity of neon
V = final velocity of unknown

Homework Equations

I've set up conservation of momentum equations for both directions, and the energy equation, but I'm stuck with more unknowns than equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mv2=mv'2+MV2
mv = mv'cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + MVcos[tex]\phi[/tex]
0 = mv'sin[tex]\theta[/tex] - MVsin[tex]\phi[/tex]

using a momentum vector sum diagram and law of sines? I got
mv/sin(180-[tex]\theta[/tex]-[tex]\phi[/tex])=mv'/sin([tex]\phi[/tex])

not sure how that helps but I guess I can then express v' in terms of v, eliminating one variable

no idea where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks OK so far I think. You can also use the law of sines to get the other "side" of the triangle. The problem is now just one of algebra. I would pick one equation (maybe the energy one), and substitute in for the variables you don't want and then isolate M.

, help!

I would suggest using the conservation of energy equation to solve for the mass of the unknown atom. Since the collision is perfectly elastic, the total kinetic energy before the collision should be equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This would give us an additional equation to use in solving for the mass of the unknown atom.

We can also use the law of cosines to relate the velocities of the neon atom before and after the collision. This will give us another equation to use in solving for the mass of the unknown atom.

Once we have these two equations, we can solve for the unknown mass by setting them equal to each other and solving for M. This will give us the mass of the unknown atom in terms of the mass of the neon atom and the angles of deflection.

In summary, to solve this problem, we can use the conservation of energy equation and the law of cosines to relate the velocities and angles of deflection of the neon and unknown atoms. This will allow us to solve for the unknown mass and complete the problem.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is the elastic collision of neon atoms different from other collisions?

The elastic collision of neon atoms is different from other collisions because neon atoms are considered to be ideal gases, meaning they do not interact with each other except during collisions. This allows for a more simplified analysis of the collision.

3. What factors affect the elastic collision of neon atoms?

The elastic collision of neon atoms is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the atoms, as well as the angle at which they collide. The size of the neon atoms and any external forces also play a role.

4. How is the outcome of an elastic collision of neon atoms determined?

The outcome of an elastic collision of neon atoms is determined by the laws of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. The initial and final velocities of the atoms can be calculated using these laws.

5. What applications does the study of elastic collision of neon atoms have?

The study of elastic collision of neon atoms has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can help in understanding the behavior of gases, designing experiments, and developing new technologies.