Electrical dark, and spectrum noise.

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on an experiment involving spectroscopy. They are unsure about the concept of "electrical dark" and the source of noise in the spectrum. They ask if the noise is due to thermal effects on the CCD or related to electrical dark, which they are unsure if it is also a thermal effect. They are also directed to consult Wikipedia for an overview on electrical noise.
Fallen Seraph
I don't mean to violate any rules or conventions; these are questions pertaining to labs I'm doing as part of an undergrad degree. It's not homework, as such, so I've not put it in one of those forums But my apologies if this is incorrect.

Anyhow; the experiment that bothers me is a spectroscopy one. Light is passesd through an optical fibre, through a bunch of mirrors and diffraction grating, and thence into a CCD.

My questions being: what's electrical dark?

Also, what's the 'noise' that I see in the spectrum? Is it some thermal effect on the CCD? Or is it something to do with the electrical dark? Indeed, is the electrical dark a thermal effect? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some clarification on the terms "electrical dark" and "spectrum noise" in the context of your experiment.

Firstly, electrical dark refers to the signal that is generated by the CCD (charge-coupled device) in the absence of any light input. This is essentially the baseline or background signal of the CCD and can be caused by thermal or electrical effects within the device. It is important to measure and subtract this electrical dark signal in order to accurately measure the spectrum of the light passing through the optical fiber.

Now, onto the "noise" that you see in the spectrum. This can refer to any unwanted fluctuations or variations in the signal, which can be caused by various factors such as fluctuations in the light source, imperfections in the optical components, or even electronic interference. In your case, the noise you are seeing could indeed be a thermal effect on the CCD, as well as other factors such as electronic noise from the CCD itself or the readout electronics.

In order to reduce or eliminate this noise, it is important to carefully control and calibrate your experimental setup, as well as use techniques such as averaging multiple measurements or applying noise-reducing algorithms. It is also important to understand and account for the sources of noise in your experiment in order to accurately interpret your data and draw meaningful conclusions.

I hope this helps to clarify the concepts of electrical dark and spectrum noise in your spectroscopy experiment. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is electrical dark noise?

Electrical dark noise, also known as Johnson noise, is the random fluctuation of electrical current in a conductor at room temperature. It is caused by the thermal agitation of electrons, and is present in all electronic devices.

2. How does electrical dark noise affect electronic devices?

Electrical dark noise can interfere with the accuracy and precision of electronic measurements. It can also limit the sensitivity of electronic devices, making it more difficult to detect weak signals.

3. What is spectral noise?

Spectral noise, also known as pink noise, is a type of electrical noise that has a frequency spectrum inversely proportional to its amplitude. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases. It is commonly found in electronic circuits and audio signals.

4. How does spectral noise impact audio quality?

Spectral noise can significantly affect audio quality, as it can introduce unwanted hissing or buzzing sounds. It can also mask important audio signals, making it difficult to hear certain frequencies or details in the sound.

5. How can electrical noise be reduced?

Electrical noise can be reduced through various methods, such as shielding, filtering, and grounding. Shielding involves enclosing electronic circuits in a conductive material to prevent external electromagnetic interference. Filtering involves using capacitors or inductors to remove unwanted frequencies. Grounding helps to dissipate excess electrical charges and reduce noise levels.