Wormholes aren't ruled out in the wonderful universe of relativity

In summary, a wormhole is a "shortcut" through space-time. Matter can 'travel' from one end to the other by passing through the middle. It is known that (Lorentzian) wormholes are not excluded within the framework of general relativity, but the physical plausibility of these solutions is uncertain. It is also unknown whether a theory of quantum gravity, merging general relativity with quantum mechanics, would still allow them. Most known solutions of general relativity which allow for traversable wormholes require the existence of exotic matter, a theoretical substance which has negative energy density.
Skynt
I'm interested in wormholes but my knowledge of advanced physics and general relativity is lacking. I was wondering, since I read that wormholes aren't ruled out in the wonderful universe of relativity, whether or not it would be possible for a man-made machine to open one?

Physics news on Phys.org

I have heard that. A wormhole is a "shortcut" through space-time. If the wormhole is traversable (to pass or move over, along, or through), matter can 'travel' from one end to the other by passing through the middle (What your trying to avoid). It is known that (Lorentzian) wormholes are not excluded within the framework of general relativity, but the physical plausibility of these solutions is uncertain. It is also unknown whether a theory of quantum gravity, merging general relativity with quantum mechanics, would still allow them. Most known solutions of general relativity which allow for traversable wormholes require the existence of exotic matter, a theoretical substance which has negative energy density. However, it has not been mathematically proven that this is an absolute requirement for traversable wormholes, nor has it been established that exotic matter cannot exist.

A wormhole also mean time travel. If you move at-or near the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) through a wormhole, time would speed up for you, and slow down for others. If you and me were at the park and the year is 2008, if suddenly just through a wormhole, and when around the universe in a couple minuets, you may come back to see it was now the year 3008. In your fame of mind, you were only gone for minuets, while for me, I sat a the park for 1000 years waiting for you to return.

Hope I could help! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Skynt said:
I'm interested in wormholes but my knowledge of advanced physics and general relativity is lacking. I was wondering, since I read that wormholes aren't ruled out in the wonderful universe of relativity, whether or not it would be possible for a man-made machine to open one?

Here's an excerpt from a nice Wormhole FAQ that's relevant to your question:

How difficult would it be to create a wormhole?
The ability to create a traversable wormhole is well beyond current human technology. It would require the enlargement of one of the many submicroscopic quantum wormholes believed to exist within any volume of space. The process would likely require an intense, ultra-high frequency negative energy source -- something we have no idea how to produce.

The FAQ is taken from The Physics of Stargates: Parallel Universes, Time Travel, and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics by Enrico Rodrigo (2010).

According to the book, a lot of unsuccessful effort has gone into attempting to prove that wormholes are impossible (by finding a so-called "energy condition" that no matter can violate but whose violation the existence of wormholes requires.) As it stands today, wormholes are still theoretically possible.

Keep in mind, however, that it is also theoretically possible to reverse the rotation of our galaxy.

HarryRool said:
Keep in mind, however, that it is also theoretically possible to reverse the rotation of our galaxy.
Well said. :smile: This would be a good quote to keep around here on PF.

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure in space-time that connects two distant points in the universe. It is often described as a shortcut through the fabric of space-time, allowing for faster travel between two points that would otherwise be extremely far apart.

2. How are wormholes related to relativity?

Wormholes are related to relativity because they are a concept that emerges from Einstein's theory of general relativity. In this theory, space and time are interconnected, and wormholes are a manifestation of this interconnection.

3. Can wormholes really exist?

There is currently no evidence that wormholes actually exist in our universe. However, they are mathematically possible according to the equations of general relativity. Scientists are still researching and exploring the possibilities of wormholes and their potential existence.

4. How would we be able to travel through a wormhole?

According to the theory of general relativity, to traverse a wormhole, one would need to enter one end and emerge at the other. However, the immense gravitational forces and extreme conditions inside a wormhole make it currently impossible for human travel. Advanced technology and understanding of physics would be required for safe travel through a wormhole.

5. Are there any risks associated with wormhole travel?

Since wormholes exist in the realm of theoretical physics, there is no way to know for certain the potential risks of traveling through one. However, some scientists speculate that wormholes could potentially collapse or cause disruptions in space-time, making it a dangerous mode of travel. More research and understanding is needed before any conclusions can be made about the safety of wormhole travel.