Covering Letter for REU Program: What to Include?

• Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv
In summary, a covering letter for an REU program should include a clear and concise introduction highlighting the applicant's interest and qualifications for the program, a brief overview of their relevant academic and research experience, and a strong statement of their motivation and goals for participating in the program. It is important to also include any specific skills or knowledge that align with the program's focus or research areas, as well as any relevant publications or presentations. Additionally, the letter should demonstrate a strong understanding of the program and its goals, and express genuine enthusiasm for the opportunity. A professional tone, proper formatting, and proofreading for errors are also essential in creating a successful covering letter for an REU program application.
Ai52487963
In an application for an REU program, they want a CV (which I have) and a covering letter (which I don't have). What exactly is said covering letter?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a formal letter that introduces yourself, your qualifications and background, in which you request to be considered for a given position. For something like an REU program (I'm assuming this is some kind of undergraduate research program) you would include information such as your program of study and the level you are at, any previous relevant experience, relevant skills, future goals and why you are interested in a given project. It should summarize the points from your CV that you wish to highlight.

Here's some advice on a "cover letter" for an REU program:
http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/programs/research/reu/apply/cover/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a covering letter for REU program?

The purpose of a covering letter for REU program is to introduce yourself and explain your qualifications and interest in the program. It is also a chance to highlight any relevant experience and skills that make you a strong candidate for the program.

2. What information should be included in a covering letter for REU program?

A covering letter for REU program should include your contact information, the name and contact information of the program you are applying to, an introduction to yourself and your academic background, a brief overview of your research interests and experience, and a statement explaining why you are interested in the program and how it aligns with your academic and career goals.

3. How long should a covering letter for REU program be?

A covering letter for REU program should be no longer than one page. It is important to be concise and only include relevant information that will make you stand out as a strong candidate.

4. Is it necessary to customize a covering letter for each REU program I apply to?

Yes, it is highly recommended to customize your covering letter for each REU program you apply to. This shows that you have taken the time to research the program and tailor your application to their specific requirements and interests.

5. What should I avoid including in a covering letter for REU program?

You should avoid including irrelevant or unnecessary information in your covering letter for REU program. This includes personal information, unrelated work experience, and generic statements. It is also important to proofread your letter and avoid any spelling or grammatical errors.