What Are the Dimensions of Permeability and Permittivity?

In summary, Permeability and permittivity are proportionalities that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum. The value of εμ is equal to 1 divided by the speed of light squared, which is the only relevant constant in electromagnetism in a vacuum. For further information, refer to the text "The Electromagnetic Interaction" and the Wikipedia pages on Permeability and Permittivity.
einsteinian77
Could someone please tell me the most detailed and direct definition of permeability and permittivity. I know that they are porportionalities of some sort but what else could they be viewed as? Why is εμ = 1/c^2 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a text called

"The Electromagnetic Interaction" which gives quite a good description. I highly reccomend it.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
Could someone please tell me the most detailed and direct definition of permeability and permittivity. I know that they are porportionalities of some sort but what else could they be viewed as? Why is εμ = 1/c^2 ?

Here's a tip. Often, when you've got some physical quantity that you don't understand, it helps to determine it's dimensional units. On the left hand side of the above expression, the dimensional units of a speed is involved. The next step is to identify what constants are available in the problem. For example, if the setting is electromagnitism in a vacuum, there's only one relevant constant with those dimensions, namely the speed of light.

This kind of dimensional analysis may not immediately clear everything up for you, but it can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

What is permittivity?

Permittivity, also known as electrical permittivity or dielectric constant, is a measure of a material's ability to store electric charge in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol ε.

What is permeability?

Permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field within itself. It is represented by the symbol μ.

How are permittivity and permeability related?

Permittivity and permeability are both properties of a material that affect how it interacts with electric and magnetic fields, respectively. In a vacuum, they have defined values of ε0 and μ0, and the ratio of these two values is the speed of light in a vacuum, c.

What is the importance of permittivity and permeability in electromagnetism?

Permittivity and permeability are fundamental properties that determine how materials interact with electric and magnetic fields. They are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, as well as for designing and optimizing electronic and communication systems.

How are permittivity and permeability measured?

Permittivity and permeability can be measured experimentally using specialized equipment, such as a capacitor for permittivity and a permeameter for permeability. The values can also be calculated using other known properties of the material, such as its density and composition.