Finding Potential Energy of a Particle Constrained to a Surface

In summary, the conversation was about deriving a Langrangian and equations of motion for a particle constrained to a surface, with the main question being how to find the potential energy of the particle. The conversation then discussed how the gravitational force and potential are related, with the final conclusion being that the gravitational potential is defined as the potential energy per unit mass and can be determined using the equation F=-mg. The individual seeking help realized they were overcomplicating things and thanked the other person for their assistance.
Jen6
Theres a question in which I need to derive a langrangian, and then the equations of motion for a particle constrained onto a surface. I think I'll be able to do it, except for the fact that I have no idea how to formulate the POTENTIAL ENERGY of the particle. I'd like to have a go at the rest myself, but can someone help me with how to just find the potential energy?
The particle is constrained to a surface:
z(x,y)= x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2,
and its moving in presence of a gravitational force in -ve z direction.

Obviously the gravitational force is F=-mg, and potential will be some function of x and y??

I'd really appreciate some help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Start with the gravitational potential; what is that?

Thanks for replying. Gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass? Sorry, I still don't know where to go from there

The gravitational potential is defined by [tex]\vec{F}_g=-\vec{\nabla}U_g[/tex], so for [tex]\vec{F}_g=-mg\hat{z}[/tex], one usually writes [tex]U_g=mgz[/tex]

...Surely you've seen this before?

Yes, I have. Sorry, I knew it would be something obvious like that; sometimes I just overcomplicate things in my head and I miss what I should really get straight away. Thankyou for your help, I should be able to do it now.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system. It is the energy that an object has the potential to release or convert into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy related to a particle constrained to a surface?

In the case of a particle constrained to a surface, the potential energy refers to the energy that the particle has due to its position on the surface. This energy is a result of the force acting on the particle and its displacement from a reference point on the surface.

What factors affect the potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface?

The potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface is affected by the force acting on the particle, the displacement of the particle from a reference point on the surface, and the type of surface the particle is constrained to.

How is the potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface calculated?

The potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or displacement of the particle from a reference point.

Why is finding the potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface important in scientific research?

Finding the potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface is important in scientific research as it allows us to understand the behavior and interactions of particles on different surfaces. This information can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the natural world.