Non-Ohmic Device Study: I-V Graphs and Light Bulb Analysis

• Thread starter negat1ve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where the participants recorded points to plot I-V graphs for resistors and a light bulb. The light bulb was expected to show a non-linear relationship between voltage and current, but instead, a straight line was observed. The conversation considers whether this is due to a low power source or an error, and suggests using a resistor in series to measure the voltage across the bulb.
negat1ve
For a lab yesterday we recorded points to plot the I-V graphs for a few resistors and a light bulb. The light bulb was supposed to show that some that some devices don't obey ohms law but when plotting the graph I am cutting more of a straight line then a curve showing that it DOES! Could this be because are voltage and current results came from a low power source that only dimly lit the bulb not giving it a chance to heat up? Or is this an error? How do i report this result>

Physics news on Phys.org
negat1ve said:
For a lab yesterday we recorded points to plot the I-V graphs for a few resistors and a light bulb. The light bulb was supposed to show that some that some devices don't obey ohms law but when plotting the graph I am cutting more of a straight line then a curve showing that it DOES! Could this be because are voltage and current results came from a low power source that only dimly lit the bulb not giving it a chance to heat up? Or is this an error? How do i report this result>

Well for low current the filament won't heat much, so you won't read much difference. But if it is glowing at least it is pretty hot. If you put a resistor in series with the bulb you can measure the voltage across that with the bulb and without the bulb. Then you could measure the bulb alone with very low current of the voltmeter and demonstrate that its heated R is greater than its cold R.

Based on your description, it seems that the results from your experiment do not align with the expected behavior of a non-Ohmic device like a light bulb. It is possible that the low power source used in the experiment did not provide enough energy for the light bulb to heat up and exhibit its non-Ohmic behavior. This could be considered an error in the experiment, as the conditions necessary for the non-Ohmic behavior were not met.

In order to accurately report this result, it would be important to include all relevant details, such as the power source used, the conditions of the experiment, and any potential sources of error. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment with a higher power source to see if the results change. Additionally, further research and analysis could be done to better understand the behavior of the light bulb and determine the cause of the unexpected results. Overall, it is important to accurately and objectively report all results, even if they do not align with initial expectations.

1. What is a non-Ohmic device?

A non-Ohmic device is a type of electrical component or circuit that does not follow Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. In non-Ohmic devices, the current and voltage relationship is not linear and can vary based on factors such as temperature and applied voltage.

2. How do you study non-Ohmic devices?

To study non-Ohmic devices, one can perform an I-V (current-voltage) graph analysis. This involves measuring the current and voltage at different points and plotting them on a graph. The resulting graph can reveal the characteristics and behavior of the non-Ohmic device.

3. What is an I-V graph and how is it used in non-Ohmic device study?

An I-V graph is a graph that plots the current (y-axis) against the voltage (x-axis) for a given electrical circuit or component. In non-Ohmic device study, it is used to analyze the relationship between current and voltage and determine the type of behavior exhibited by the device. The slope of the graph can also provide information about the resistance of the device.

4. What is the purpose of analyzing light bulb I-V graphs?

Light bulbs are an example of a non-Ohmic device, as the relationship between the current and voltage is not linear. By analyzing the I-V graph of a light bulb, one can determine the resistance of the bulb at different voltage levels and also understand the factors that affect its brightness and efficiency.

5. How does temperature affect the I-V graph of a non-Ohmic device?

Temperature can significantly affect the I-V graph of a non-Ohmic device. As temperature increases, the resistance of the device may also increase, resulting in a steeper slope on the I-V graph. This can lead to changes in the current and voltage relationship, making it important to consider temperature when studying non-Ohmic devices.