Arranging Sets of Numbers: From 2 to 5

• Thread starter mikesvenson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, for a set of n numbers, there are n!/(n-k)! different arrangements that can be formed, where k is the number of elements in the arrangement. This can also be represented as \sum_{k = 1}^{n} P(n, k). A simpler formula, 2^n, can be used if the order is not important and the null set is included. The P's, n's, and k's in the formula represent the number of permutations, the number of elements in the set, and the number of elements in the arrangement, respectively.
mikesvenson
lets say I have a set of 2 numbers (1, and 2). I can arrange this set (including all possible amounts of numbers in the set) into 4 arrangements, 1, 2, 12, and 21.

For the set (1, 2, 3), I can arrange 15 different combinations of numbers contained in the set.

What about a set of 4 numbers? (1, 2, 3, 4)
What about a set of 5 numbers? (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Remeber I wish to count all possible combinations available within the set. e.g, 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, 21, 23, 32, 34, 43, 123, 321, 234, 432, 134, 431, ....1234, 1342, 1243, 4231, 4132, .....

What is the formula for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want:

[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^{n} P(n, k) = \sum_{k = 1}^{n} \frac{n!}{(n - k)!}[/tex]

Maybe a "nicer" formula can be found.

Muzza said:
You want:

hmm, i hope so, i don't have a clue on the propor why do decifer this formula! What kind of math does that formula fall into? There must be a way to compute it without venturing into this unfamiliar territory!

I don't even know what the P's, n's, and k's stand for!

P(n, k) denotes the number of different permuations (make sure you know the difference between permutation and combination) of size k taken from a set of size n. See http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.comb.perm.html for a more in-depth explanation. n stands for the number of elements in your set (I should've mentioned that).

Think about how you could calculate the number of "arrangements" that can be formed with elements from the set {1, 2, 3, 4}, without actually listing all of them. First you could count the number of "arrangements" with only 1 number. Then you count the number of "arrangements" with 2 numbers, and so on. Then you add all those numbers. But these "arrangements" are just permutations of size 1, 2, 3, or 4 from a set of size 4, and there's a function that can count these (namely P(n, k)). So the answer is P(4, 1) + P(4, 2) + P(4, 3) + P(4, 4). And as it turns out, P(n, k) is equal to n!/(n - k)!, so the answer is equal to 4!/(4 - 1)! + 4!/(4 - 2)! + 4!/(4 - 3)! + 4!/(4 - 4)!, which can "easily" be evaluated (it's 64).

Last edited:
Muzza said:
You want:

If the order was unimportant (ie. 12 is the same as 21) and the null set was included, then of course, this is just 2^n (cardinality of the power set), for a set of n elements...which is what you get by changing 'P' to 'C' in Muzza's expression and start summing at k=0.

1. What is the difference between a set and a number?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, while a number is a single quantity or value. Sets can contain numbers as elements, but they can also include other types of objects.

2. How do you arrange a set of numbers from 2 to 5 in ascending order?

To arrange numbers in ascending order means to list them from smallest to largest. Therefore, the set of numbers from 2 to 5 arranged in ascending order would be 2, 3, 4, 5.

3. What is the purpose of arranging sets of numbers?

The purpose of arranging sets of numbers is to organize and order the elements in a logical way, making it easier to analyze and understand the data. It also allows for easier comparison and identification of patterns and trends within the set.

4. Can you arrange a set of numbers in descending order?

Yes, arranging numbers in descending order means listing them from largest to smallest. For the set of numbers from 2 to 5, the descending order would be 5, 4, 3, 2.

5. What are some common methods for arranging sets of numbers?

There are several methods for arranging sets of numbers, including sorting, grouping, and sequencing. Sorting involves arranging the numbers in a particular order, such as ascending or descending. Grouping involves dividing the numbers into subsets based on specific criteria. Sequencing involves arranging the numbers in a specific pattern, such as in a sequence or series.