Unsolved Problems in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics

In summary: The evidence for dark energy is the observation that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, rather than slowing down (which is what would be expected from gravity alone).The evidence for dark matter is the amount of matter needed to hold galaxies and galactic clusters together is much greater than what can be accounted for by ordinary matter (stars, gas clouds, brown dwarfs, etc.), which is about 1/5 of what is needed.In addition to the above evidence for dark matter from the motion of stars in galaxies and galaxies in clusters, dark matter is also needed to explain the observations of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), and the growth of structure in the early universe. All three of these different observations also point
Stratosphere
I have been wondering what some of the big problems in theoretical physics and astrophysics are. Through some research I have not been able to find a whole lot of them, I am starting to think that this means we have a good grasp on understanding the universe but then I realize that this can't possible be. So I am looking to you guys for some things that I may not have been able to find from these websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_problems_in_physics

http://july.fixedreference.org/en/20040724/wikipedia/Unsolved_problems_in_physics

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both lists look like they cover a lot of ground. Why don't you think they are adequate? For starters dark matter and dark energy add up to about 95% of the universe, but what they are is essentially unknown.

Yes but it seems to me that dark matter and energy aren’t theoretical problems they are more observational. And if these are the only problems left doesn't that mean that we have a near complete understanding of the universe?

Last edited:
Stratosphere said:
Yes but it seems to me that dark matter and energy aren’t theoretical problems they more observational.
Well it must be turtles all the way down:smile:

I for my part find these dark fudge factors highly mysterious too :biggrin:

Stratosphere said:
Yes but it seems to me that dark matter and energy aren’t theoretical problems they are more observational. And if these are the only problems left doesn't that mean that we have a near complete understanding of the universe?

These things have been observed but there is no theory to describe them. I would call that a theoretical problem.

Excuse me, are there pieces of empirical evidence for dark matter and dark energy?

Yrreg

The evidence for dark matter is the amount of matter needed to hold galaxies and galactic clusters together is much greater than what can be accounted for by ordinary matter (stars, gas clouds, brown dwarfs, etc.), which is about 1/5 of what is needed.

The evidence for dark energy is the observation that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, rather than slowing down (which is what would be expected from gravity alone).

mathman said:
The evidence for dark matter is the amount of matter needed to hold galaxies and galactic clusters together is much greater than what can be accounted for by ordinary matter (stars, gas clouds, brown dwarfs, etc.), which is about 1/5 of what is needed.

In addition to the above evidence for dark matter from the motion of stars in galaxies and galaxies in clusters, dark matter is also needed to explain the observations of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), and the growth of structure in the early universe. All three of these different observations also point to roughly the same amount of dark matter.

1. What is dark matter and why do we believe it exists?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not emit or interact with electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Many observations in astrophysics, such as the rotation of galaxies and the bending of light in galaxy clusters, suggest the presence of large amounts of dark matter. However, its exact nature and composition are still unknown, making it one of the biggest unsolved problems in theoretical physics.

2. What is the origin of the universe and how did it evolve?

The origin of the universe and its evolution is a central question in astrophysics and cosmology. The most widely accepted theory is the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since. However, there are still many unanswered questions about the Big Bang, such as what caused it to happen and what happened in the first few moments after the Big Bang.

3. What is the nature of black holes and what happens inside them?

Black holes are regions of space with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, not even light, can escape from them. The exact nature of black holes is still a topic of debate in theoretical physics. While we have observed their effects, we still do not fully understand how they form, what happens inside them, and how they eventually evaporate.

4. What is the fate of the universe?

One of the biggest unsolved problems in theoretical physics is the ultimate fate of the universe. Will it continue expanding forever, or will it eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch"? The answer depends on the amount of matter and energy in the universe, which is still not fully understood. Additionally, the discovery of dark energy has added another layer of complexity to this question, as it may play a significant role in the fate of the universe.

5. What is the nature of time and space?

Time and space are fundamental concepts in physics, but their nature is still not fully understood. The theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time, but it is still not compatible with quantum mechanics. This has led to the search for a theory of quantum gravity, which would unify these two theories and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of time and space.