Unicode (UTF-8) for overlined characters

• Thread starter mathmate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of unicode character codes for overlined upper case letters and decimal digits. It is mentioned that in the tex environment, overbars can be defined for any characters using the \bar{} markup. This method is found to be useful and wished to be supported in other forums. The conversation ends with a thank you message for the prompt response.
mathmate
Hello, I have been trying to find the unicode (UTF-8) character codes for overlined upper case letters (V,L,C,M) for use in Roman numerals with the 1000-multiplier. It is basically the same letter with a bar on top of the letter.
I also need the overlined decimal digits to display recurring decimals. I must have missed something, because theses characters appear quite basic to me.
Many thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
This may not help you, but in the tex environment, you can define overbars for any characters using the \bar{} markup.

Code:
\bar{V} ~ \bar{L} ~ \bar{C} ~ \bar{M} ~ \bar{0} ~ \bar{1} \ldots \bar{9}

[tex]
\bar{V} ~ \bar{L} ~ \bar{C} ~ \bar{M} ~ \bar{0} ~ \bar{1} \ldots \bar{9}
[/tex]

If you're just looking for a way to markup characters in this forum, this method can be quite handy.

[tex]\bar{v} = \frac{x_2 - x_1}{t_2 - t_1}[/tex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overline
u+305 is the combining overline, type it after a character
0̅1̅2̅3̅4̅5̅6̅7̅8̅9̅
V̅L̅C̅M̅

In fact, the tex code is very useful for me too, as I need to write that as one of my steps!
Thank you both of you for the prompt response.

I'm glad to know it can help. I find the tex markup here to be quite useful and wish other forums supported it.

1. What is Unicode?

Unicode is a universal character encoding standard that allows for the representation of characters from all writing systems used in the world. It assigns a unique number to each character, making it possible for different computer systems and programs to communicate and display text correctly.

2. What is UTF-8?

UTF-8 is a character encoding scheme that is used to represent Unicode characters. It is a variable-width encoding, meaning that different characters can take up different numbers of bytes depending on their code point. It is a popular encoding for its compatibility with ASCII and backward compatibility with older systems.

3. What are overlined characters?

Overlined characters are characters that have a horizontal line above them. This line is often used to indicate emphasis or to denote a mathematical or logical operation. In Unicode, overlined characters are represented by a combination of a base character and a combining diacritical mark, which is the line above the character.

4. How do I type overlined characters using Unicode (UTF-8)?

To type overlined characters using Unicode, you can use a character map or special keyboard shortcuts depending on your operating system. For example, on Windows, you can hold down the Alt key and enter the Unicode code point for the desired character using the numeric keypad. On a Mac, you can use the Option key and type the hexadecimal code point.

5. Can overlined characters be displayed on all devices and browsers?

Yes, as long as the device or browser supports Unicode and UTF-8 encoding, overlined characters can be displayed. However, the exact appearance of the overlined character may vary depending on the font used. It is recommended to use a font that supports the specific overlined character you need for consistent display across devices and browsers.