It's a vicious circle.Why do people commit mass shootings?

In summary, a biology professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville opened fire at a faculty meeting, killing three people and wounding three others. She faces a capital murder charge.
Do we have confirmation that the shotgun was fired 3 times?

Biology news on Phys.org
drankin said:
She also accidently kept it pointed at her brother. To control a semi-auto shotgun and maintain a target is hard enough.
You need to read the story carefully and keep strict track of what everyone said:

She said she got the gun and loaded shells into it, but was unable to get them out. Anderson said that while she was attempting to unload the weapon on her bed, it went off. She then took it downstairs to ask for help in unloading it. She asked her brother, she said, and he told her to point the gun up instead of carrying it beside her leg. Her brother was walking across the kitchen between her and her mother, she said. She started to raise the gun, and "someone said something to her," she recalled in the report. She turned and the gun went off.

That's from the big chunk of news story I quoted in post #87

This seems to confirm the 3 shots.

But current Braintree police Chief Paul Frazier questions how the investigation was handled. Frazier said Amy Bishop also fired once into a wall before hitting her brother, then fired a third time into the ceiling.

An auto mechanic who worked at a dealership near Bishop's home in 1986 told The Boston Globe that Bishop ran in after shooting her brother, waved a gun and demanded a getaway car.

I'm no gun expert, but I would assume that she'd have to be holding that gun with at least one finger on the trigger in order for her to "accidently" fire it. So, you have a person that is supposedly afraid of guns, then "accidently" shoots it once, yet continues to carry the gun with her finger on the trigger while she's supposedly taking it to ask her mother how to unload it? Wouldn't the first reaction be to keep your hand away from the trigger? Just doesn't sound right.

Here's the latest on the shooting.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – A professor who survived a deadly university shooting rampage said the colleague charged in the attack methodically shot her victims in the head until the gun apparently jammed and she was pushed out of the room.

Ng said the meeting had been going on for about half an hour when Amy Bishop "got up suddenly, took out a gun and started shooting at each one of us. She started with the one closest to her and went down the row shooting her targets in the head."

Ng, the professor who survived, said all six of those shot were on one side of an oval table.

"The remaining 5 including myself were on the other side of the table (and) immediately dropped to the floor," he wrote.

Ng told the AP the shooting stopped almost as soon as it started. He said the gun seemed to jam and he and others rushed Bishop out of the room and then barricaded the door shut with a table.

Ng said the charge was led by Debra Moriarity, a professor of biochemistry, after Bishop aimed the gun at her and attempted to fire. When the gun didn't shoot, Moriarity pushed her way to Bishop, urged her to stop, and then helped force her out the door.

"Moriarity was probably the one that saved our lives. She was the one that initiated the rush," he told the AP. "It took a lot of guts to just go up to her."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100216/ap_on_re_us/us_ala_university_shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
On the bright side, there should be increased enrollment in physics programs in the future.

zoobyshoe said:
The percentage of 19 year old girls who accidentally shot relatives will be so tiny that the statement "It's not at all unusual for a 19 year old girl to accidentally shoot a relative" will be seen to be bogus.

I think you are trying to address something different then Brain_C stated:

Brian_C said:
19 year old girls will act erratically after accidentally shooting a relative. This stuff might sound suspicious to CSI wannabees, but it's nothing out of the ordinary in the real world of law enforcement.

As I understand it, he was not referring to the general population, but to the population of people that police has to deal with. That's not the same situation.

Note: I am not stating you are wrong or he is wrong, I just think you don't talk the same case.

Last edited:
When her gun jammed they forced her out the door? I probably would have killed her with my bare hands.

Ivan Seeking said:
When her gun jammed they forced her out the door? I probably would have killed her with my bare hands.

It is not clear where the gun was at the point that they pushed her out of the room. I for myself would not want to wrestle with a person with a gun. I would be happy to push them out the door and barricade the door.

edpell said:
It is not clear where the gun was at the point that they pushed her out of the room. I for myself would not want to wrestle with a person with a gun. I would be happy to push them out the door and barricade the door.
The gun was in her hand
Ng said the charge was led by Debra Moriarity, a professor of biochemistry, after Bishop aimed the gun at her and attempted to fire. When the gun didn't shoot, Moriarity pushed her way to Bishop, urged her to stop, and then helped force her out the door.

So, they forced her out of the door along with her gun before the shooting occurred (and called 911)? In most cases I believe people try to subdue the person before anything else.

edpell said:

...so that she could possibly continue on her rampage? That aside, I don't know if I could control my emotions at that point. My life has been threatened a few times. Once I was held at gunpoint [actually, I was kidnapped at gunpoint]. When a person's life is threatened, the animal instincts often emerge.

rootX said:
So, they forced her out of the door along with her gun before the shooting occurred (and called 911)?
She shot 3 colleagues. She attempted to shoot a 4th, but the gun jammed/misfired. The 4th colleagues (and apparently others) wrestled her out the door.

These are academics - and I would doubt they know how to react under a deadly fire situation - other than duck and cover.

If I were the insurance company for the University I would be filing a lawsuit against the Braintree Mass. police department for criminal negligence. Seeking to have them pay the payouts due to the shootings.

Ivan Seeking said:
...so that she could possibly continue on her rampage? .

I would not wrestle a person with a gun even a jammed gun. Yes she might kill others on the other side of the door. Eventually she will face people who have guns and she will be stopped.

If I had a gun I would not push a person with a jammed gun out a door I would shoot them.

Astronuc said:
She shot 3 colleagues. She attempted to shoot a 4th, but the gun jammed/misfired. The 4th colleagues (and apparently others) wrestled her out the door.
Actually she shot 6 people before the gun jammed, or ran out of bullets. Three dead, 2 in the hospital in critical condition and one has been released from the hospital.

Ivan Seeking said:
...so that she could possibly continue on her rampage? That aside, I don't know if I could control my emotions at that point. My life has been threatened a few times. Once I was held at gunpoint [actually, I was kidnapped at gunpoint]. When a person's life is threatened, the animal instincts often emerge.

oh, their animal instincts kicked in, alright. they were complete sheep. until one became emboldened, and then they went into a herd mentality.

There are two animal instincts 1) fight 2) flight. If you are defending genetically related kin 1 might make sense. If you are defending people who are not genetically related to you well 2 makes more sense.

But if you wish to save me Ivan I will gladly accept the help.

i think it is fight/flight/fright actually, but yeah.

No sex between insticts? Damn, I knew there is something wrong with me.

edpell said:
If I were the insurance company for the University I would be filing a lawsuit against the Braintree Mass. police department for criminal negligence. Seeking to have them pay the payouts due to the shootings.

Are you aware that the police have NO constitutional or otherwise legal responsibility to actually protect individual lives?

edpell said:
There are two animal instincts 1) fight 2) flight. If you are defending genetically related kin 1 might make sense. If you are defending people who are not genetically related to you well 2 makes more sense.

But if you wish to save me Ivan I will gladly accept the help.

I wasn't defending anything. You were.

Do you really want to make this personal? You might want to rethink that position.

cronxeh said:
Are you aware that the police have NO constitutional or otherwise legal responsibility to actually protect individual lives?

But they do have an obligation to investigate shootings that result in death. That is the brothers death.

edpell said:
But they do have an obligation to investigate shootings that result in death. That is the brothers death.

And they did - conclusion was that it was an accident.

Dr Transport said:
As a graduate of UAH, this is just another incidence of the universities poor judgment in hiring faculty members, not 6 months ago the former Physics department chair was convicted of murdering his wife.

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/10/professor_uah_murder.html

These were the worst, but other poor decisions (my opinion) have been made in other cases regarding tenure etc...
I'm tempted to say there must be something in the water. Rare enough to encounter one murderous professor anywhere, but to have two associated with the same institution?

Here's a new piece of information. Apparently dozens of her students had signed a petition of complaint about her strange teaching style and had presented it to the Bio department chairman, who blew it off. Unfortunately, he became one of her victims.

Bishop's students said they first wrote a letter to biology department chairman Gopi K. Podila — one of the victims of Friday's shooting — then met with him and finally submitted a petition that dozens of them had signed.

"Podila just sort of blew us off," said Phillips, who was among a group of five students who met with him in fall 2008 or early 2009 to air their concerns.

Another thing that has emerged is that she physically assaulted a woman in a restaurant in '02:

In 2002, Bishop was charged with assault, battery and disorderly conduct after a tirade at the International House of Pancakes in Peabody, Mass. Peabody police Capt. Dennis Bonaiuto said Bishop became incensed when she found out another woman had received the restaurant's last booster seat. Bishop hit the woman while shouting, "I am Dr. Amy Bishop," according to the police report.

"The whole incident was just stupid," Bishop's husband, James Anderson, said Wednesday.

Asked if he was referring to his wife's actions, he said: "Everything."

"It was way overblown," he said. "Someone trying to make something out of nothing."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100217/ap_on_re_us/us_ala_university_shooting_136;_ylt=A2KIKvNsRXxLNP0ARCZH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2OHNjNzVxBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN5bi1yLWItbGVmdARzbGsDZXYtc3R1ZGVudHNj

Astronuc said:

She shot six people, but three of them survived (so far...two are still in critical condition).

Apparently she's also been arrested for assault in the past, as well.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Here's a new piece of information. Apparently dozens of her students had signed a petition of complaint about her strange teaching style and had presented it to the Bio department chairman, who blew it off. Unfortunately, he became one of her victims.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=392617"... though that doesn't mean much. :rofl:

physics girl phd said:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=392617"... though that doesn't mean much. :rofl:
Yeah, cronxeh linked to that earlier. Out of 34 comments 20 were "good", 5 were "average", and 9 were "poor".

According to the news story, though, "dozens" (which, if it's accurate, has to mean at least 24, right?) of her students didn't bother with this rating site and went directly to the head of the department with a petition against her. I suppose that petition still exists somewhere and the exact number of signatures could be checked. I have no idea how common it might be for students to start a petition like this. I'm not aware it ever happened in my college.

She sounds like a very atypical woman from a psychological standpoint. Such violent crimes from an early age, coupled with intelligence... typically a male pattern. Some of the impulse-control issues have to make one wonder if these are sociopathic traits/neurological structures at play? I can't stress how unusual it is for a woman to have a history of murder-by-firearm in the first degree like this.

zoobyshoe said:
According to the news story, though, "dozens" (which, if it's accurate, has to mean at least 24, right?) of her students didn't bother with this rating site and went directly to the head of the department with a petition against her. I suppose that petition still exists somewhere and the exact number of signatures could be checked. I have no idea how common it might be for students to start a petition like this. I'm not aware it ever happened in my college.
According to reports, she "taught" by reading out of the textbook. If I was paying for a college education and my professor did that, I'd be talking to the department head, and if that didn't work, head to the dean's office and work up from there.

zoobyshoe said:
I have no idea how common it might be for students to start a petition like this. I'm not aware it ever happened in my college.

I agree with what you are implying. In my experience, students often complain verbally (and I guess in writing on the internet nowadays) at the slightest provocation. Often the best professors get negative comments from mediocre students. Very little can be made from this kind of thing.

However, students orgainizing a petition is very rare and an extreme measure to take. A student really sticks their neck out if they do that, and I doubt they would be motivated to do it without a real conviction that an important principle is at stake. There is always an oddball to lodge a complaint with a Dean, but a group of students? ... That's a big deal.

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, cronxeh linked to that earlier. Out of 34 comments 20 were "good", 5 were "average", and 9 were "poor".

For students to actually go to a department chair to complain is a bit uncommon. However, it's not unheard of, nor does it guarantee there was a problem with her teaching. Sometimes all it takes is one or two whiny students to "rally the troops" so to speak. Students DO complain a lot, especially the ones who think the course is too hard for them and that it should be made easier so they can pass. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, there may have been merit to the complaint, but the department chair didn't make a big deal of it in front of the students and rather took it into consideration and addressed it privately. This is the appropriate way to handle such a situation...you don't undermine faculty in front of students, but then talk to the faculty without the students present to address concerns (or start sitting in on some lectures to see if the complaints have any merit). Even as a course coordinator, I do this when students complain about a particular faculty member's teaching style...I sit in the lectures and see for myself if there is any merit to the complaint, or if they are just trying to find excuses for their own poor performance on exams (i.e., lack of studying, not lack of teaching).

really though, how sick must you be to do that. Where I'm from there is no death penalty, but if we had a vote on it I think I'd acquire multiple identities.

Frame Dragger said:
She sounds like a very atypical woman from a psychological standpoint. Such violent crimes from an early age, coupled with intelligence... typically a male pattern. Some of the impulse-control issues have to make one wonder if these are sociopathic traits/neurological structures at play? I can't stress how unusual it is for a woman to have a history of murder-by-firearm in the first degree like this.
I am sure there are shrinks at work as we speak who've talked to her and are trying either to arrive at a diagnosis or rule out any mental illness. It would be interesting to know what they've found out that we don't know yet.

turbo-1 said:
According to reports, she "taught" by reading out of the textbook. If I was paying for a college education and my professor did that, I'd be talking to the department head, and if that didn't work, head to the dean's office and work up from there.
Actually, I heard of worse things: professors who ramble on about their lives all through class, then announce quizzes on stuff from the book that they haven't even discussed in class. I know students who've gone to, and emailed, the teacher directly complaining about apparently unfair practices, like, "You specifically said the test would be about this, but instead it was about that." I've never heard of an organized petition, is all I'm saying.

elect_eng said:
I agree with what you are implying. In my experience, students often complain verbally (and I guess in writing on the internet nowadays) at the slightest provocation. Often the best professors get negative comments from mediocre students. Very little can be made from this kind of thing.

However, students orgainizing a petition is very rare and an extreme measure to take. A student really sticks their neck out if they do that, and I doubt they would be motivated to do it without a real conviction that an important principle is at stake. There is always an oddball to lodge a complaint with a Dean, but a group of students? ... That's a big deal.
That's what I'm thinking: this is probably extremely unusual, but, of course, I haven't seen a poll or any statistics, if such exists.

Moonbear said:
On the other hand, there may have been merit to the complaint, but the department chair didn't make a big deal of it in front of the students and rather took it into consideration and addressed it privately. This is the appropriate way to handle such a situation...you don't undermine faculty in front of students, but then talk to the faculty without the students present to address concerns...
It seems that this is exactly how it was handled. Although he apparently dismissed the students, she was actually privately spoken to about the petition. If you read the whole link the student interviewed said she began dropping phrases and terms they'd used in the petition in class:

"Podila just sort of blew us off," said Phillips, who was among a group of five students who met with him in fall 2008 or early 2009 to air their concerns.

After students met privately with Podila, Phillips said, Bishop seemingly made a point in class to use some of the same phrases they had so they would know she knew about it.

"It was like she was parroting what we had said," Phillips said.

Creepy.

In the shooting death of brother did the police interview any of brothers friends? Did they look at the bullet placement in the walls? Did they question Dad? Did they find and question the motorist that was threatened with the gun? Did they ask for a polygraph on Amy? Did they determine how far the gun was from brother when fired? Did they talk with any of Amy's friends?

I have to assume the Braintree town lawyer has told the police force to shut their mouths and we will never hear from them again. Was the same kind of anger that Amy uses used by Mom against the town employees of Braintree? Or by Dad against whoever? Or by brother against whoever?

edpell said:
In the shooting death of brother did the police interview any of brothers friends? Did they look at the bullet placement in the walls? Did they question Dad? Did they find and question the motorist that was threatened with the gun? Did they ask for a polygraph on Amy? Did they determine how far the gun was from brother when fired? Did they talk with any of Amy's friends?

I have to assume the Braintree town lawyer has told the police force to shut their mouths and we will never hear from them again. Was the same kind of anger that Amy uses used by Mom against the town employees of Braintree? Or by Dad against whoever? Or by brother against whoever?
Don't forget the 2002 charges for assault at the International House of Pancakes over a booster seat.