Double pendulum, time question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a double pendulum and its behavior over time. The speaker is curious about whether there is a specific time where the pendulum reaches its initial position, or a "period", and mentions Poincaré's recurrence theorem. They also mention attempting to solve for this time mathematically, but acknowledge the difficulty due to the chaotic nature of the system. The response states that a double pendulum is generally chaotic and not predictable, and provides a link to a visualization of its motion.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm probably going to learn about the double pendulum in a few weeks, however I have a question that I can't get rid off from my head.
Is there a time (I imagine it to be very large) where the pendulum reach the initial position/configuration? In another words, a time where it moves as it has moved. Maybe we can call this a period, but I'm not really sure.
If I remember well, Poincaré's recurrence theorem implies the existence of such a time.

Mathematically I must have the motion equation under my eyes and set [tex]t=0[/tex]. I do the same but setting [tex]t=t_1[/tex]. And lastly I equal both equation and I solve for [tex]t_1[/tex]. I'm guessing it's very hard to solve for [tex]t_1[/tex] since I never heard of a period of a double pendulum.
Do someone has something to say?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, no. A double pendulum is a chaotic system and will not generally return to the same configuration as before. Also, you can usually only solve the equations of motion numerically and they are numerically unstable over long periods of time.

DaleSpam said:
In general, no. A double pendulum is a chaotic system and will not generally return to the same configuration as before. Also, you can usually only solve the equations of motion numerically and they are numerically unstable over long periods of time.

Ok thanks a lot for the information.

A double pendulum executes simple harmonic motion (two normal modes) when displacements from equilibrium are small. However, when large displacements are imposed, the non-linear system becomes dramatically chaotic in its motion and demonstrates that deterministic systems are not necessarily predictable.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/MathamaticalTopics/ChaoticPendulum/ChaoticPendulum002.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I can confirm that your question about the time it takes for a double pendulum to reach its initial position is a valid one. The concept of a period, which is the time it takes for a system to repeat its motion, applies to the double pendulum as well. However, determining the exact period of a double pendulum is a complex and challenging task due to the nonlinear nature of its motion.

Poincaré's recurrence theorem does imply the existence of a time where the double pendulum will return to its initial configuration, but it does not provide a way to calculate this time. As you mentioned, it would require solving the motion equations for t=t_1, which is a difficult task.

There have been studies and simulations done to estimate the period of a double pendulum, but it ultimately depends on the initial conditions and the length and mass of the pendulum. It is also worth noting that the period of a double pendulum is not a constant value, as it can change depending on the initial conditions.

In conclusion, while the concept of a period applies to the double pendulum, it is not easy to determine its exact value due to the complexity of its motion. Further research and calculations may provide more insight into this question, but for now, we can appreciate the beauty and unpredictability of the double pendulum's motion.

1. How does a double pendulum work?

A double pendulum consists of two pendulum arms connected to one another. The top pendulum is attached to a fixed point, while the bottom pendulum is attached to the top one. When the pendulum is released, it swings back and forth due to gravity and the force of the initial push.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion?

The length of the pendulum affects the period of its motion. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, meaning it will take longer for the pendulum to complete one swing. This is due to the fact that a longer pendulum has a larger arc length, which results in a longer time for the pendulum to complete one cycle.

3. Can a double pendulum ever reach a state of equilibrium?

No, a double pendulum will never reach a state of equilibrium. This is because the motion of a double pendulum is chaotic and unpredictable. The motion of the pendulum is constantly changing, making it impossible for it to reach a stable state.

4. How does the angle of release affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The angle of release can greatly affect the motion of a double pendulum. If the pendulum is released at a small angle, it will have a regular back and forth motion. However, if it is released at a larger angle, it can result in chaotic and unpredictable motion.

5. Can a double pendulum be used to measure time accurately?

No, a double pendulum cannot be used to accurately measure time. This is due to the chaotic and unpredictable nature of its motion. While the period of the pendulum can be calculated, small variations in initial conditions can greatly affect its motion, making it unreliable for time measurement.