Prove Complex Conjugate: z=cisθ

In summary, the problem is to prove that for a complex number z=cis(theta), the conjugate is equal to 1/z. The attempt at a solution involves using a random complex number and trying to prove that 1/z is equal to 1 over the complex conjugate of z. However, this is incorrect. The correct way to solve the problem is by rationalizing the denominator and multiplying both numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of z.
_wolfgang_

Homework Statement

i am supposed to prove that for the complex number z=cis[tex]\theta[/tex]
the conjugate is [tex]\frac{1}{\overline{z}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

if
z=a+bi
[tex]\overline{z}[/tex]=a-bi

The Attempt at a Solution

all that i can think of is that [tex]\frac{1}{cos\theta i sin \theta}[/tex]
=(cos [tex]\theta[/tex] i sin [tex]\theta[/tex])-1

i have also just tried it with a random complex number such as w=2+3i
still how does [tex]\overline{w}[/tex]=1/2+3i ?

Im very lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{\overline z}[/tex]
is NOT equal to
[tex]\frac{1}{cos(\theta)isin(\theta)}[/tex]

Also your problem, as stated, is wrong- the complex conjugate of [itex]z= cis(\theta)[/itex] is not 1 over the complex conjugate of z.
[tex]\frac{1}{\overline{z}= z[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{1}{z}= \overline{z}[/tex].

The complex conjugate of [itex]cis(\theta)= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex] is [itex]cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta)[/itex].

The reciprocal of that is, of course,
[tex]\frac{1}{cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta)}[/tex]

Now, "rationalize the denominator"- multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex]

Conversely,
[tex]\frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)}[/tex]

Multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta)[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah that makes it a lot easyer, i totally forgot about when the denominator is imaginary that you multiply both numerator and denomiator by the conjugate.
Thanks alot!

1. What does "cisθ" mean in the equation z=cisθ?

In complex analysis, "cisθ" represents the notation for the trigonometric function cosine of an angle θ, where θ is measured in radians. In other words, it is a shorthand way of writing cos(θ) in complex form.

2. Why is it important to prove the complex conjugate of z=cisθ?

Proving the complex conjugate of z=cisθ is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of complex numbers. It also allows us to perform operations such as multiplication and division more easily.

3. How do you prove the complex conjugate of z=cisθ?

The complex conjugate of z=cisθ can be proven by taking the complex conjugate of both sides of the equation. This means changing the sign of the imaginary part of z, while keeping the real part the same. The resulting equation should be z*=cosθ - i sinθ.

4. What is the significance of the complex conjugate in the polar form of a complex number?

In polar form, a complex number is expressed as z=re^(iθ), where r is the magnitude of the number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis. The complex conjugate of z, or z*=re^(-iθ), has the same magnitude but an angle that is the negative of θ. This helps us better understand the geometric representation of a complex number in polar form.

5. Can the complex conjugate of z=cisθ be written in rectangular form?

Yes, the complex conjugate of z=cisθ can be written in rectangular form by using the trigonometric identity cosθ= (e^(iθ) + e^(-iθ))/2. This gives z*=cosθ - i sinθ = (e^(iθ) + e^(-iθ))/2 - i(e^(iθ) - e^(-iθ))/2i, which simplifies to z*=cosθ + i sinθ.