Can Supernovas Disrupt Entire Stars Without Remnant?

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stellar
In summary, a core collapse supernova always leaves a remnant - either a neutron star or a black hole.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey guys, quick question, I know that the usual stellar remnants are the White Dwarf, Neutron Star, and Black Hole, depending on the initial mass of the Star. I was wondering if some Super-Novas could be so catastrophic that the entire star, including its degenerate core was disrupted so that there would be no remnant (it was all blasted out into space)? Is that possible, or does every star necessarily evolve into one of those three?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In fact, that's exactly what happens in a Type 1A supernova - the star basically blows itself apart without leaving a massive remnant,

But a Type 1A supernova originates from a binary between a White Dwarf and another star that's losing mass to this white dwarf. The white dwarf was the stellar remnant, and then the SN destroys it.

My question was more along the lines of a single star that could be completely obliterated by the core-collapse supernova. Perhaps my question wasn't specific enough.

Thanks for your input though. :)

I think a core collapse supernova always leaves a remnant - either a neutron star or a black hole.

A stellar fragment [e.g., neutron star] normally remains after a core collapse, but, is not guaranteed. It is possible an assymetric collapse may not leave a condensed matter fragment.

Indeed, in the early days of SN modeling one of the big problems was to leave a remnant. The models were predicting no remnants once the explosive energy got anywhere near 1050 or 1051.

IIRC, rare super massive stars create a runaway particle-antiparticle reaction in their cores which rip them apart from the inside out, so that there is no remnant.

hmm interesting...I may look some of this stuff up...somewhere... XD

Thanks.

You're welcome! Here's an article about these stars:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/12/supergiant-star-destroyed-by-antimatter-triggered-meganukeweve-just-seen-the-largest-explosion-ever-recorded-a-supergiant-st.html

Those stars Arch2008 mentioned result in a "pair-instability" supernova. They are thought to result from stars with masses greater than about 140 solar masses. These stars do not really form in today's universe due to enrichment of heavy metals (elements heavier than helium). These heavy elements act as opacity sources, effectively limiting the possible size of a forming star.

There was a report late last year about a possible observation of a pair-instability supernova:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.1156"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can a supernova completely destroy a star?

Yes, a supernova is an extremely powerful explosion that can completely destroy a star. This happens when a large, massive star runs out of fuel and its core collapses, creating a shockwave that causes the outer layers of the star to explode outward.

2. Can a star survive a supernova explosion?

It is possible for a star to survive a supernova explosion, but it depends on the size and type of the star. Smaller stars, such as white dwarfs, can survive a supernova explosion, while larger stars may be completely destroyed.

3. Can a supernova disrupt other nearby stars without a remnant?

Yes, a supernova explosion can have a significant impact on surrounding stars, even without leaving a remnant behind. The intense radiation and shockwaves from the explosion can disrupt the structure and stability of nearby stars.

4. What happens to the remnants of a star after a supernova?

The remnants of a star after a supernova explosion depend on the size of the star. For smaller stars, the remnants can be a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole. Larger stars may leave behind a black hole or no remnant at all.

5. How does a supernova impact the surrounding environment?

A supernova can have a significant impact on its surrounding environment, releasing massive amounts of energy and elements into space. This can lead to the formation of new stars and planets, and also contribute to the chemical makeup of the universe.