What will MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water form and why?

In summary, the conversation is about the dissolution of MgCl2 and MgSO4 in distilled water. It is clarified that in aqueous solution, MgCl2 will dissolve into Mg++ and 2 Cl-. This is the case for all salts. Similarly, MgSO4 will also dissolve into Mg++ and SO4--, without any changes in electric currents, temperature, or pressure. There are no intermediate steps in the process. The conversation also mentions the possibility of MgSO4 dissolving into H2SO4 and MgO, but it is confirmed that MgSO4 will dissolve into Mg++ and SO4--. The question is considered important by the person asking, but it may seem silly to others.
luckyjack
Hi!

If I dissolve MgCl2 in distilled water, will it form into [Mg++] + [Cl-] + [-Cl] ?
or [Mg++] + [Cl2--]? -And Why? is it because of stability constants?

-Also Are there any intermediate steps in the process?

Similarly, If I dissolve MgSO4 in distilled water, without electric currents or temperature / pressure changes,
it will dissolve into Mg + SO4, right? or will it go into H2SO4 + MgO, and then MgO + H2O will go into Mg(OH)2
and then Mg(OH)2 + H2O = Mg2 + OH- ??

-Please help!

Thank you for your insights and valuable help! I can't figure this, as foolish as it is!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have at least never heard of Cl2 double anion. The chlorine is not bonded to magnesium kation as Cl2, but as individual Cl-atoms, and in aqueous solution MgCl2 will dissolve into Mg++ and 2 Cl-.

This is the case for all salts as far as I know.

Thank you very much, and what about the MgSO4 question?

Thanks in advance to anyone providing insights! I know for you it may be silly, but for me its a important question! =D

1. What is the chemical formula for the compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water?

The chemical formula for the compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water is MgCl2·6H2O. This is a hydrate compound, meaning it contains water molecules within its crystal structure.

2. Why does MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water form a hydrate compound?

MgCl2 is a hygroscopic compound, meaning it has a strong affinity for water molecules. When MgCl2 is mixed with distilled water, the water molecules are attracted to the ions and form a crystal lattice around them. This results in the formation of a hydrate compound.

3. What is the physical state of the compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water?

The compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water is a solid. This is because the water molecules that are incorporated into the crystal lattice of the hydrate compound give it a solid structure.

4. What is the color of the compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water?

The compound formed by mixing MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water is colorless. This is because both MgCl2 and distilled water are colorless substances, and the resulting compound does not contain any other colored impurities.

5. How does the formation of a hydrate compound affect the properties of MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water?

The formation of a hydrate compound affects the properties of MgCl2 ion pair + distilled water in several ways. Firstly, it changes the physical state from two separate substances to a solid compound. Secondly, the hydrate compound has a different melting and boiling point compared to the individual substances. Additionally, the hydrate compound may have different solubility and reactivity compared to the individual substances.