Boundary conditions in String Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses varying the action in the RNS superstring and obtaining a term involving boundary conditions for X^\mu and fermions \psi_+ and \psi_-. The question is raised about taking other boundary conditions and if there are any solutions to them. It is clarified that setting \delta \psi_+ = \delta \psi_- = 0 is not possible because the variations of the fields must be generic. It is also noted that X^\mu cannot be antiperiodic because it describes the string's position in spacetime.
GargleBlast42
I have this, probably quite simple, problem. In the RNS superstring, when varying the action, we obtain in general a term [tex] \int d\tau [X'_{\mu}\delta X^{\mu}|_{\sigma=\pi}-X'_{\mu}\delta X^{\mu}|_{\sigma=0} + (\psi_+ \delta \psi_+ - \psi_- \delta \psi_-)|_{\sigma=\pi}-(\psi_+ \delta \psi_+ - \psi_- \delta \psi_-)|_{\sigma=0}][/tex], where the notation should be standard (as e.g. in Becker-Becker-Schwarz).

My question is the following: couldn't one also take other boundary conditions as those that one takes usually? For example, couldn't [tex]X^{\mu}[/tex] be anti-periodic (i.e. an antiperiodic closed string), or cuoldn't we take a boundary condition for the fermion in the form [tex]\delta \psi_+=\delta \psi_-=0[/tex]? Can one show that there are no solutions to such boundary conditions (because nobody does that in a textbook)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for bumping this, but I would at least like to know, if it is too difficult to answer (i.e. nobody has been considering such boundary conditions), or is it just that it's so obvious, that it's not worth replying to :-)? Thank you for any ideas.

Much beyond my pay grade...boundary conditions can be rather esoteric...somebody may yet answer,

good luck...

You cannot set [itex]\delta \psi_+ = \delta \psi_- = 0[/itex], because the entire point of varying the action is that the variations of the fields are generic (i.e., nonzero).

Also, [itex]X^\mu[/itex] cannot be antiperiodic, because it is just an ordinary number. Either the string is closed or it isn't. Remember that [itex]X^\mu[/itex] simply describes the string's position/configuration in spacetime.

Ben Niehoff said:
You cannot set [itex]\delta \psi_+ = \delta \psi_- = 0[/itex], because the entire point of varying the action is that the variations of the fields are generic (i.e., nonzero).

Also, [itex]X^\mu[/itex] cannot be antiperiodic, because it is just an ordinary number. Either the string is closed or it isn't. Remember that [itex]X^\mu[/itex] simply describes the string's position/configuration in spacetime.

Sorry, I meant of course [itex]\delta \psi_+|_{\sigma=0/\pi} = \delta \psi_-|_{\sigma=0/\pi} = 0[/itex].

With the antiperiodicity - well yes, you couldn't interpret the X's as space-time dimensions, but from the point of view of the 2D Field Theory it would be okay, right?

What is the definition of boundary conditions in String Theory?

Boundary conditions in String Theory refer to the constraints placed on the behavior of strings at the endpoints of the string worldsheet. These conditions dictate how the string can vibrate and interact with other objects at its boundaries.

How do boundary conditions affect the behavior of strings?

The specific boundary conditions imposed on a string determine its fundamental properties, such as its mass, charge, and spin. These conditions also determine the types of particles and interactions that can arise from the string's vibrations.

What are the different types of boundary conditions in String Theory?

There are two main types of boundary conditions in String Theory: open and closed. Open boundary conditions allow the ends of the string to move freely, while closed boundary conditions fix the ends of the string in place. Within these categories, there are various subtypes of boundary conditions that can have different effects on the string's behavior.

How are boundary conditions related to the concept of duality in String Theory?

In String Theory, duality refers to the idea that different physical systems can be described by the same mathematical equations. Boundary conditions play a crucial role in this concept, as they can be used to transform one type of string into another through a process known as T-duality or S-duality.

How do scientists determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific String Theory model?

The choice of boundary conditions in String Theory is often motivated by the symmetries and physical properties of the system being studied. Scientists also use experimental and observational data to guide their selection of boundary conditions and refine their models to better fit with real-world observations.