Relativistic kinetic energy comapred to Newtonian

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a particle with a given relativistic kinetic energy that is 40% higher than the Newtonian value for the same speed. The equation is set up as K(relativistic) = 1.4K(Newton) and using the quadratic formula, the solution is found to be v = 0.9c. However, after realizing a small math mistake, it is corrected to v = 0.61c.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

Find the speed of a particle whose relativistic kinetic energy is 40% greater than the Newtonian value for the same speed.

Krel = relativistic kinetic energy
Knew = Newtonian kinetic energy

Homework Equations

Krel = (gamma - 1)mc^2
Knew = 0.5mv^2
gamma = 1/sqrt(1-x)
x = v^2 / c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set it up as K(relativistic) = 1.4K(Newton).. because my problem was 40%.
So (gamma - 1)mc^2 = 1.4 (0.5mv^2) and..
(gamma - 1) = (0.7mv^2)/mc^2
... m's on top and bottom cancel out, then I replaced v^2/c^2 by x...
(gamma - 1) = 0.7x
1/sqrt(1-x) = 0.7x + 1
1/(1-x) = (0.7x+1)^2
1 = 0.49x^2 + 14x + 1 - 0.49x^3 - 1.4x^2 - x
0 = x(-0.49x^2 - 1.09x + 0.4)

Using the quadratic formula, I get either x = -3.12 or x = 0.9

Since x = v^2 / c^2,
v = sqrt(x)*c
So I get v = 0.9c

But the answer is 0.61c.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mbradar2 said:
0 = x(-0.49x^2 - 1.09x + 0.4)
One of the coefficients in this equation is wrong. (Just a little math mistake)

Ohh man, how did I not catch that? I reworked this three times, with a calculator even, and didn't notice that little mistake.

Thank you so much! I'm relieved it was just a small math mistake. You're a lifesaver :)

What is relativistic kinetic energy compared to Newtonian?

Relativistic kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a relativistic frame of reference, while Newtonian kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a non-relativistic frame of reference.

What is the equation for relativistic kinetic energy?

The equation for relativistic kinetic energy is E = (mc^2)/√(1-v^2/c^2) - mc^2, where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

How is relativistic kinetic energy different from Newtonian kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while Newtonian kinetic energy does not. Additionally, relativistic kinetic energy can approach infinite values as the velocity of the object approaches the speed of light, while Newtonian kinetic energy has a maximum value.

In what situations is relativistic kinetic energy more applicable?

Relativistic kinetic energy is more applicable in situations where the velocity of an object is close to the speed of light, such as in particle accelerators or in space travel at high speeds.

How does relativistic kinetic energy affect the behavior of objects?

Relativistic kinetic energy can cause significant changes in the behavior of objects, such as increasing their mass and affecting their perception of time. This can also lead to interesting phenomena, such as time dilation and length contraction.