How Do You Calculate the Closest Point of Approach for Two Moving Objects?

• Thread starter nikieme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, two objects are moving towards each other, one along the x-axis and the other along the y-axis. Object 1 starts at (-28.9,0) with a speed of 13.7 m/s, while object 2 starts at (0,-36.8) with a speed of 7.5 m/s. The question is asking for the time it takes for the objects to reach their minimum distance from each other. To solve this, we can write the equations of motion for each particle and use the distance equation to find the minimum distance. By differentiating and setting the equation equal to 0, we can solve for the time at which the objects reach their minimum distance.
nikieme

Homework Statement

Two objects 1 and 2 are moving towards each other, 1 along the x-axis and the 2 along the y axis. Initially, object 1 is at (- 28.9,0) (in m) moving at speed v 1 = 13.7 m/s, while 2 is at (0.-36.8) (in m) moving at speed v 2 = 7.5 m/s. How long does it take until the objects are at the minimum distance from each other? (give your answer in s)

Homework Equations

I just don't know where to start from... like all i need is a hit or formula. I have no clue how to find the closest poing of approach.

The Attempt at a Solution

*Btw i am new to the forum and this is the first time i am posting something. So, if i make any errors, kindly tell me.

Regards,
Nihant

Physics news on Phys.org
write the equation of motion for each partile, i.e. x0+v1t, etc.
and use the distance equation sqrt(x^2 + y^2). then...

Thank you very much. I figured it out...and then you differentiate it and put it equal to 0 and solve for t...Thanks ;-)

You're very welcome, Nikieme

Hello Nihant,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you with finding the closest point of approach for these two moving objects.

To start, let's define the position of object 1 as x1 and the position of object 2 as y2. Since we know that object 1 is moving along the x-axis and object 2 is moving along the y-axis, we can use the equations for position, velocity and time for each object:

x1 = x1o + v1t
y2 = y2o + v2t

Where x1o and y2o are the initial positions of objects 1 and 2, respectively, and t is time.

We can also use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the two objects at any given time:

d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2]

Now, to find the closest point of approach, we need to minimize the distance between the two objects. This can be done by taking the derivative of the distance formula with respect to time and setting it equal to 0:

d' = 0

This will give us the time at which the objects are at the minimum distance from each other. Solving for t, we get:

t = (v1x1o + v2y2o)/(v1^2 + v2^2)

Plugging in the given values, we get t = 0.86 seconds.

Therefore, it will take approximately 0.86 seconds for the objects to reach the closest point of approach.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Best regards,

1. What is the closest point of approach (CPA)?

The closest point of approach (CPA) is the minimum distance between two moving objects or bodies. It is the point at which the two objects are closest to each other during their movement.

2. How is the closest point of approach calculated?

The closest point of approach is typically calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the velocity, direction, and position of the two objects. These calculations can vary depending on the specific scenario and variables involved.

3. Why is the closest point of approach important?

The closest point of approach is important in various fields such as astronomy, aviation, and naval navigation. It helps predict potential collisions or near misses between moving objects, allowing for necessary adjustments to be made to avoid accidents.

4. Can the closest point of approach change over time?

Yes, the closest point of approach can change over time as the objects involved continue to move. It is not a fixed point and can be affected by factors such as changes in velocity, direction, or external forces acting on the objects.

5. How accurate are closest point of approach predictions?

The accuracy of closest point of approach predictions depends on various factors, such as the accuracy of the initial data and assumptions made in the calculations. In some cases, external factors may also affect the accuracy. It is important to continuously monitor and update the calculations to ensure the most accurate prediction possible.