How Do You Calculate the Distance a Motorboat Travels After Engine Shutdown?

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the distance traveled by a motorboat after its engines are shut off at t = 0. The equation of motion is given as dv/dt = -kv, and the initial conditions are provided to find the two unknown parameters, C and k. The answer is given as 10m, but the process to reach this answer is not clear. The conversation also mentions the use of definite integration and finding k using the second condition given.
physicsss
Help!

A motorboat traveling at a speed of 2.4 m/s shuts off its engines at t = 0. How far does it travel before coming to rest if it is noted that after 3.0 s its speed has dropped to half its original value? Assume that the drag force of the water is proportional to v.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...anyone?

The equation of motion would be
[tex]\frac {dv}{dt} = -k v[/tex]
Can you integrate that?

Do I get lnv=-kt ? What do I need to do after I find what k is?

Last edited:
Whats the answer given in your reference book?
-Cheers.

The answer is 10m, and i have no idea how they got it

When you solve the differential eqn you will have 2 variables(1 from integration & other 'k')Use the initial conditions given to find them.
At t=0,v=? and one more.
Else,if you did definite integration ,you have to figure out k by the 2nd condition given.

[tex]v = v_0 e^{-kt}[/tex]

physicsss said:
Do I get lnv=-kt ? What do I need to do after I find what k is?

Since ln v=-kt+ C (you forgot to add the constant), v= Ce-kt which has two unknown parameters, C and k. Now use the information you were given: "traveling at a speed of 2.4 m/s shuts off its engines at t = 0". Okay, when t=0, v= Ce-k(0)= C= 2.4. "it is noted that after 3.0 s its speed has dropped to half its original value" Okay, when t= 0, v= "half its original value" which is 2.4/2= 1.2 m/s. v= 2.4e-k(3)= 1.2 . Solve that for k.

1. What is "The Song Remains the Same" about?

"The Song Remains the Same" is a song by the English rock band Led Zeppelin. It was released in 1973 as the opening track on their fifth studio album, Houses of the Holy. The lyrics of the song are about the power and endurance of music, and how it can bring people together.

2. Who wrote "The Song Remains the Same"?

The song was written by all four members of Led Zeppelin: Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham. They are credited as the songwriters on the album.

3. What inspired the lyrics to "The Song Remains the Same"?

The lyrics were written by Robert Plant and were inspired by the band's experiences on the road and their love for performing live music. It is also said that the song was influenced by the power of music to unite people and bring about change.

4. What musical genre does "The Song Remains the Same" belong to?

"The Song Remains the Same" is considered a hard rock song, but it also incorporates elements of blues and folk music. Led Zeppelin was known for blending different genres in their music, creating their own unique sound.

5. Has "The Song Remains the Same" won any awards?

While the song was not released as a single and did not receive any major awards, it is considered one of Led Zeppelin's most iconic and beloved songs. It has been included in many "best of" lists and continues to be a fan favorite.